NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to update on some Warranty information with Shimano products. They have started where they dealer will not be able to swap out broken rods. You will now have to ship the rod back to Shimano, they will inspect it, then determine the status of the rod.

If it was determined that it was factory or mechanical problems then the norm will be to send a new rod back. If it is determined that it was broken in a slammed door, dog ate the tip off, trash compactor eat it or mishandled, they will not replace it.

Here is the Shimano link. You will also have to fill out the link at the top of the page, your name, address, where you bought the rod, receipt and how the rod broke. Just fill out the Rod Warranty Form...US

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Rod_Warranty.html

Last year Eagle Claw started the same type of system. Keep an eye to the wind, more and more companies will fall into this same scenario before long.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Diawa was the same. Biggest problem was cost of initial shipping since I did t have a tube to send rod back in. Now I have a tube so will save it if ever needed again

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
It has almost gotten to the point where warranties mean nothing anymore. Business expenses and non willingness to settle for making $10 million a year instead of $12 million, I guess.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Also heard that any Loomis rod bought after July 15 will only have a 1 year limited warranty and no dealer exchanges. Loomis is now owned by Shimano. This makes no sense if they do not lower prices, one of the reasons people were willing to pay top dollar for a Loomis rod was the warranty and exchange. On a tarpon trip was in the Angling Company fly shop in Key West and a guy had broken a Hardy Pro Axis Sintrix 11 wt, same rod I have, they just handed him a new one. If you have to send it in for warranty it would be a real problem if you are in the middle of trip.

This should at least be good for some of the companies like Echo and Colton, who make very good rods and are typically half the price of the big guys like Sage and Loomis. My understanding is that a decent amount of the price is for the warranty.

Guess you have to wonder how much abuse of the warranty was happening. I see a lot of rods that are new, without warranty, being sold by people as replacement rods. Wonder if people use the rod hard for several years, 'accidentally' break it and then get a new replacement to sell for a more than they would have gotten for their used rod.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Guess you have to wonder how much abuse of the warranty was happening. I see a lot of rods that are new, without warranty, being sold by people as replacement rods. Wonder if people use the rod hard for several years, 'accidentally' break it and then get a new replacement to sell for a more than they would have gotten for their used rod.
You guess? I would guess that the above reason is only second to high sticking the rod to land/grab your catch. Being able to see things from a manufacturing side (not fishing rods) I agree with them but if you mail the rod in and it is defective then the manufacture should reimburse you for the freight both ways.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It has almost gotten to the point where warranties mean nothing anymore. Business expenses and non willingness to settle for making $10 million a year instead of $12 million, I guess.
They didn't do away with the warranty, they changed how the warranty process works.
I don't know of a company out there that isn't or hasn't buckled down in this anti business climate.
The ultimate goal is to profit and rightly so.

It's no different than Yeti charging 500 bucks for a cooler or Hobie charging 3 grand for a piece of tupperware. Neither one are worth the asking price but the market can and is bearing the asking price. Profits are high. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Either you can or can't afford it.
Those that like the product will continue to buy no matter the warranty. Some will continue to buy no matter the price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you have used a rod a couple of times and caught fish with it and it hasnt broke then later it breaks its not a defict it is something you did. There was a article in Rod Maker magazine a few years back where Tom Kirkman broke 100s of rod blanks in every way possible to show how to tell.Too many people think you should get a free rod when its there fault it broke. High sticking and grabbing a rod with it under a load are #1 reasons rods break.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
When you start talking about graphites it's a different ball game.
They aren't made to sit there and tap on the side of the truck as it goes down the road. They will not hold up throwing them in the back of the truck and them rolling around in the back of the truck.

You actually have to take care of a graphite. It's like like a ceramic knife. I love a ceramic knife, but if you side load it, it'll snap. If you chop with it, it will gouge the blade. If you use it like it ought to be used, it's a mighty fine blade.

What I have found out as far as myself. The more I spend on a rod, the more it gets taken care of. You don't find scratches and scuffs on my expensive sticks.

If you are rough on equipment, stick with an Ugly Stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts