NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a Stradic Ci4 for inshore fishing reds, flounder and trout. I currently fish all Diawa Procyon 3000 reels and like them very much, but thought I'd try Shimano this time. Anyone have any comments PROS or CONS? Also what size would you buy and what rod would you pair it with for fishing inshore NC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Awesome reel, you won't be disappointed. The 3000 will serve you best for inshore fishing. Mounted to a Crucial 70CRSMB you have a very lightweight yet powerful setup that's ready to take on the world of inshore fishing.

A cheaper option for a rod yet still a solid choice would be a Fenwick HMG.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Trigger22! I know very little about rod selection as I have mostly bought combos in the past. I have seen other post that mentioned the Blair Wiggins and CarrotStix rods. What size (length) and weight (action) rod is best for artificial bait? I mostly kayak fish bays and flats for reds and flounder.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The Blair Wiggins rods are garbage imo. I liked them initially but after breaking two in less than 6 months both times on fish (only rods I've ever broken on fish) they made their way into the do not buy again file for me. For the same money you can buy a Fenwick HMG or Shimano Teramar. 6'6-7'0 in a medium fast action is going to be your best "all around" rod setup for a kayak. If you later decide you want a setup that is lure specific you can get into moderate or extra fast action rods. A couple of examples: for mirrolure 17mr's I prefer a medium light moderate action rod. For popping corks I prefer a medium extra fast action rod, but if I could only have one it would be medium fast action.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have Shimano Crucials with FH and FJ Stradics and Okuma RTX reels now and LOVE them. I also have some old "Salty Carrots" that are doing a good job thus far. I picked all this up used over time and saved a lot of $. I also have a Falcon Bucoo and a Carolina Custom Rod by Brett Hinson from this site that I love!

Reactions: NCStateFisher

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have the Stradic Ci4 3000 and 2500. On hmg fenwick and shimano crucial rods. Love the set ups. Have had the 3000 since they came out and they have been flawless and I've used them a lot in the surf. I like the handle on the 3000 better than the 2500 but both perform flawlessly. My 2500 are the ci4 + I think. They are newer. Not sure of the difference though. I trade out the ci4 for a penn fierce on the fenwick when on the kayak though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big difference to go with the ci4, very light. Always thought it was bs a reel being just a few ounces more than another. I paired my 2500 with a bucoo. Those bucoo rods just feel great to me for production rods. The mhx blanks feel good too, cashion also. Someone told me the new Shimano rod that is so light was designed for the ci4's. No opinion yet as I have not seen one. Good luck. Hard to pick one rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.