NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the new Shimano Stradic FK.

First impressions: The reel is beautiful cosmetically, it's very smooth and light. The reel feels very rigid and solid.

The good: Has everything the old fj has with some upgrades.

The bad: The drag knob looks and feels very cheap. The pictures look like its metal but it's just plastic with chrome paint.

Last thoughts: The rotor and body are smaller in size compared to (ci4+/fj). It feels like a 2500 instead of 3000. One thing I cannot stand is when a spinning reel doesn't lay braid on correctly. Well this reel lays line perfectly out of the box!!! This is what I have found just in 2 days. I will test it on the water this weekend and give my performance thoughts.

Tight lines

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Not a fan of the new look, maybe it will grow on me. Price went up $20, list is $199 vs $179 for the FJ. Good deals on FJ's now, just bought two 3000's for 129.99 a piece.

New price is only $30 from the Ci4, it probably will be going up to, so now might be the time to snag one if you have been considering one. The lighter Ci4 needs to be matched with the right pole, built a rod and had to move the reel seat up about 2 inches to get it to balance right with a Ci4. Just something to think about when buying new stuff.

Reactions: 2840-FISH

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased this FK from Tackle Direct for $189.99. I just sold my old CI4 and plan to get a CI4+ soon. CI4+ is very nice but its for someone looking for a lighter reel. The Stradic FJ and FK have more weight and is overall more solid feeling. The FK is really really light compared to the FJ but still feels solid. Like I said, the FK feels smaller overall. I wish I would've gone with a 4000 model, it would've been perfect fit for what I do. The Stradic series has always been great reels in a great price range. I'm sure this new reel will be a great for years to come!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
i don't forsee the ci4+ price changing any time soon, when they re-make it again it will be probably go up 20 or so but they won't raise the price until they re-make it

Not a fan of the new look, maybe it will grow on me. Price went up $20, list is $199 vs $179 for the FJ. Good deals on FJ's now, just bought two 3000's for 129.99 a piece.

New price is only $30 from the Ci4, it probably will be going up to, so now might be the time to snag one if you have been considering one. The lighter Ci4 needs to be matched with the right pole, built a rod and had to move the reel seat up about 2 inches to get it to balance right with a Ci4. Just something to think about when buying new stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I've been waiting on reviews. Please let us know how she does on the water.
So I took it out Saturday, the reel feels great, very very smooth. One thing I noticed immediately was how far it will cast. I never thought a reel could actually make you cast further, I always thought it was the fishing line that determines the distance and the rod. Which the line and rod has a lot to do with it but this reel has improved my casting distance. I usually use a Quantum Smoke Inshore with 15lb Fins Wind Tamer on a Wright McGill 7'2 medium action rod and I cant cast as far. I also used the exact same rod with the fk. This reel lays line down a certain way and it comes off the reel effortlessly. Unfortunately I could not catch a fish to save my life. So I cant really give a good performance review. Ill let you guys know as soon as I catch some fish with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright guys, I finally caught some fish on the FK. Man this reels awesome!!! I notice a huge difference from the CI4, the XShip helps a ton! Compared to my FJ, I don't notice any difference. The FK looks and feels better but that's about it. Like I said before these reels are on the smaller side, the gear housing is smaller. I caught some nice Spanish Mackerel and Blue runners this past weekend. Got to test the drag and the biggest difference I notice is when I reel a fish over the rails. On my CI4 I would sometimes struggle to bring a bigger Spanish over the rail. With the FK, its effortless. Its a huge difference! I recommend everybody go try this reel out. If you already have a FJ or CI4+, don't waste your time or money unless your like me and like new toys.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the rigid feel of the FK compared to the CI4+. The CI4+ is a great reel but its too light for my taste. Penn Clash looks promising but I've had first hand experience with Penn spinning reels and IMO they are behind Shimano on every category. Ill check the Clash out when its available, I'm sure its going to be a great reel.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks dude. Whenever I decide to get another reel this was at the top of the list. Been waiting to hear a first hand for someone. Sounds like a winner. My 3000ci4+ did fine last yr putting in a old drum in under 8 mins but the line capacity was an issue with the ci4+. small spool. Does the fx 3000 have a higher capacity like the old fj did or no?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks dude. Whenever I decide to get another reel this was at the top of the list. Been waiting to hear a first hand for someone. Sounds like a winner. My 3000ci4+ did fine last yr putting in a old drum in under 8 mins but the line capacity was an issue with the ci4+. small spool. Does the fx 3000 have a higher capacity like the old fj did or no?
Wow, you caught a old drum on a 3000 class reel in under 8 minutes! lol I bet that was fun!!!:D I'm not sure if it has higher capacity but if I could go back I would go with the 4000 size. Since the gear housing is smaller then the FJ, the reel looks and feels a lot smaller. Did I mention this reel is very very light, its not ci4+ light but its light enough. I recommend holding different sizes before purchasing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I politely disagree on your Penn vs Shimano quote...
I understand, we all have opinions. I can only go by my first hand experience. I use to love Penn when I first bought them, but over time they fell apart. I don't fish once a month or once a year. I fish hard every single week, and I put these reels to the test and Penn failed. That doesn't mean all there reels are trash. The Clash could be a great contender!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I know Shimano makes a good reel. But I hate to see a 240 dollar ci4 compared to a 100 or less dollar battle. The Penn clash starts at 179 retail and I'm betting will be able to be had on ebay for 150 to 160. My first "nice reel" was a Penn fierce 5000 for surf fishing. It got sandy and I would rinse it off in the ocean. It still works fine. A loose handle but it will still catch fish.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know Shimano makes a good reel. But I hate to see a 240 dollar ci4 compared to a 100 or less dollar battle. The Penn clash starts at 179 retail and I'm betting will be able to be had on ebay for 150 to 160. My first "nice reel" was a Penn fierce 5000 for surf fishing. It got sandy and I would rinse it off in the ocean. It still works fine. A loose handle but it will still catch fish.
I agree it is not fair to Penn to compare a $180 to a $100 but I've fished with Shimano Sedona and Sahara and they both were way better then the battle. The Battle was misleading reel, it feels and looks so rigid with the all metal body. You would think that reel would last forever but after a year of hard use, my battle started seizing. This happened to 2 of my battles. I sold the one Battle that didn't give me any problems to Chris Lane. I've heard multiple friends have the same issue. I also had bail issues with the battle, it would close when casting hard. Anyways, I like Penn a lot because they take feedback and they try to apply it to the new reels. They are doing a great job of trying to make there reels better. But if I were to choose Penn or Shimano on a brand new reel that has not been tested. I would choose Shimano every time! Maybe that will change in the coming years but in the past Shimano has never failed me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
And guess what happened to that 4000 you sold me. It's has no clicker, sticks, and the bail is loose after two old drum on topwater. All my shimano fj 4000s are still perfect and catchin fish. Just my opinion.

And yes, the 3000 ci4+ did just fine with this fish. Was with trigger and it was our only one for the day.

i hate the penn/shimano argument. To each there own. I'll stick with what I like and be just fine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Dude I have a sargus 5k that is great. Been four yrs and reeled in a lot of big fish. But that's it. Every battle I've had, and I've had four, gave in and had to be put in the get it fixed box after a yr minus the first battle I bought. It lasted two yrs. I loved them at first and invested accordingly. They just flat out let ME down. Shimanos that I have had have not.

Maybe be have drove a bolt out with one. Maybe

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.