NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Shimano Symetre FL 3000 or 4000 has a Waterproof Drag system? I like the Shimano reels but it has been brought to my attention that some are not necessarily waterproof drag systems. Is having a waterproof drag really necessary if I'm just fishing from the boat and don't plan on submerging the reel in surf or wherever :confused:? I'm also looking at the Stradic FJ and it does say it has the WP system. Can anyone recommend either of these reels (Symetre FL or Stradic FJ)? My bro in-law just got the Baitrunner OC and the rep at the basspro seemed like it was a sin to not have a waterproof drag system. Also the guy said the Sahara wasnt a very good saltwater reel... Anyways thanks for any help!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
NO WP drag but I've fished Saharas for years in salt with no problems, just a rinse after and a blast of Reel Magic. I do see some discoloration inside on the gears when I clean them but it has never progressed to more than a change in color of the metal. Stradics are nice but a huge price jump. I'd buy 2 Symetres or Saharas rather than one Stradic FJ for the same $. They have made some changes in many of the series and the old models are clearanced in a lot of places so shop around for the old ones. They are all fine reels and most of the "changes" are cosmetic for marketing appeal anyway. I just scored a nice used Stradic FJ, my first.

Reactions: RouseD and h2ohhh

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
The Symetre is a saltwater sealed reel. I recently purchased one and am very happy with it. As for the drag, it's very good out of the box but you can upgrade to the carbon drag washer set on e-bay for about $10 shipped. It basically gives you a smoother drag and a higher max drag pressure. As for the Sahara (I own one of those too) I once bought the infamous NCPierman one (because the guy refuses to take any money from me when we go fishing) and he wore it out on Redfish in no time at all. He's probably harder on gear than anyone but I'd shy away from the Sahara as a saltwater reel. Now as for the Baitrunner....I have one that's 25 years old and use it surf fishing quite often. Mr. BPS may know what he's talking about on the newer models but I caught an overslot red on that reel not long ago and that drag still was smooth as warm butter. Here's my Symetre, next to one of my Calcutta's, which is just an awesome reel......but I digress.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Camera accessory

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks! I'm probably gonna stop by the shop on the way out (heading to CB) after work and grab the Symetre. I have read a lot of convincing reviews and think that will be a good reel cause I don't get to fish very often but I do take good care of my stuff so it should last for some time. The main reason is we're swapping out our Father in-laws old Spheros cause he passed away not long ago and we wanna keep the Reels and Rods he had in good condition. I'm also going to look into those used Stradic's might be an early Merry Christmas to me haha. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I have a few Saharas and love them. I have never used them in saltwater. As far as a water proof drag goes, my reels have riden around laying on the front deck of the boat in some heavy downpours running 40-60 mph, never had any kind of drag issues.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
My Sahara is starting to get a little sketchy. I've cleaned it but it needs a professional overhaul. Not sure if the few times it was used in the salt caused the issue or not. Drag's fine but the reel is a little noisy on retrieve.

·
Banned
2,563 Posts
My Sahara is starting to get a little sketchy. I've cleaned it but it needs a professional overhaul. Not sure if the few times it was used in the salt caused the issue or not. Drag's fine but the reel is a little noisy on retrieve.
I far from a professional... But if need be and you aren't in a huge time crunch I can fix it.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
I far from a professional... But if need be and you aren't in a huge time crunch I can fix it.
Sweet. I'll PM you when I'm ready to have it done. Thanks for offering. In the meantime I only have a few dozen other reels I can use... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Symetre 4000 and paired it with the Shimano Teramar 7'4" M.. Before we got on the boat casted right by some oyster beds off the dock and got 2 Puppies 20.5 and 23... Just bites afterwards nothing else... Reel and Rod are great combo looking forward to full day tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Broke it in right!

Reactions: GoneCatching23

·
Registered
255 Posts
Got the Symetre 4000 and paired it with the Shimano Teramar 7'4" M.. Before we got on the boat casted right by some oyster beds off the dock and got 2 Puppies 20.5 and 23... Just bites afterwards nothing else... Reel and Rod are great combo looking forward to full day tomorrow...
Been eyeballin' the Teramar. Might have to pull the trigger. Congrats on the break-in!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.