NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this rod? Looking into the medium-heavy extra fast action tip. Heard it was a very durable and sensitive medium rod for flounder, sheepshead.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Love them, I agree the MH is going be too much rod. I fish the medium extra fast rod and it has no problem with upper slot size drum or wrestling flounder off structure.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Absolutely a great rod and look great too!! I'd def say go 7' or even the 7'6" model in med as it wil handle just about anything.. I have a med hvy as well in casting i use for stripers. But i love my 3 inshore spinning rods

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I'm looking for a West Coast spinning Teramar if anyone has one for sale. ...... ICM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, so definitely sensitive enough for sheepshead but good for nearshore flounder with the capability of handling a possible gag or big sea bass? That's really what I liked about it versus a tsunami jigging rod was the sensitivity and all-around ability but want to verify.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
go 3000 with that battle... it'll hold up to anything inshore.. i fish sheep and flounder with teramar/battle 3k combo regularly

·
Registered
99 Posts
I fish a 7'10 medium action, fast tip teramar with a penn conflict 3000..... Good combo for inshore, surf trout and nearshore too.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Great, so definitely sensitive enough for sheepshead but good for nearshore flounder with the capability of handling a possible gag or big sea bass? That's really what I liked about it versus a tsunami jigging rod was the sensitivity and all-around ability but want to verify.
For Sheepshead you don't need a sensitive rod. I use a broken Ugly Stick that is about 5' long, all back bone.
You want to be close to the pilings.
You may land a Gag with a Teramar, but that's not a good choice for targeting them.
Teramars are inshore rods, not designed for bottom fishing. Perfect long cast to Spanish or Bonit"O".

There is no one rod perfect for all round fishing.
Here's Shimano recommended uses for them.
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...x/products/rods/inshore/recommended_uses.html

Teramars are great rods I own 7.
From 8' MH power / fast action for local Reds, surf fishing.
To 6'6" M power / extra fast action for Trout.
Hope this helps. ...... ICM

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is the difference between the West Coast and South East Teramar? Is the SE best for inshore here in NC? I just broke a rod and this is a timely forum.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Battle 3000 series is perfect for most applications.
Prefer Battle 2000 for casting lures all day on 6'6" Teramar.
I have never been spooled by a Red or Trout on any Battle reel.

Battle 4000 is overkill for most applications. I have one as back up for my 8' Teramar.

Hope this helps. ...... ICM

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
What is the difference between the West Coast and South East Teramar? Is the SE best for inshore here in NC? I just broke a rod and this is a timely forum.
Shimano discontinued WC spinning rods, so your choices is only SE spinning. ...... ICM

·
Registered
847 Posts
Texas Tackel in Wilmington had the battles for $79 the other day as they are discontinuing the current model. Not sure how many are left. I got (2) three thousand models. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
The MH extra fast teramar is a great rod for nearshore jigging for flounder and sea bass. It doesn't have the guts for butterfly jigging for amberjacks or grouper though. I will warn you that it is what I consider heavy. Mine are paired with Stradic ci4 + 4000's and is perfect for casting bucktails to cobia or popping corks to old drum as well as bouncing bucktails for flounder, but I wouldn't use it for casting jigs inshore to trout, flounder, or redfish. Those battle 4000's are heavier than the ci4's.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Texas Tackel in Wilmington had the battles for $79 the other day as they are discontinuing the current model. Not sure how many are left. I got (2) three thousand models. Hope that helps.
Penns website has nothing about a new model battle...... and you can buy the battle for 79 bucks with free shipping on ebay pretty much anytime you want. Got a 4000 on the way right now.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have 5 Teramar Rods ALL paired with Penn 360 and one with the Penn Spinfish 3500. Also be prepared to replace guides. If you use braid the break will cut line.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Have 5 Teramar Rods ALL paired with Penn 360 and one with the Penn Spinfish 3500. Also be prepared to replace guides. If you use braid the break will cut line.

Never had a problem with guides & braid is all I use.
Use to fish Power Pro, now only Spyder Inv a braid 10# & 15# on all reels.
What kind of leader knot are you tying & how long are your leaders?

Did pop one guide after a lure got caught on a back cast. ....... ICM

Reactions: c.lane
1 - 20 of 28 Posts