NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gone to wearing long sleeve shirts while fishing. I like the sun protection without having to use sprays etc.
I purchased a name brand last year and it is 100% polyester. I was very surprised how cool it was and I needed more of them. The price however was too much so I used the cotton type that I already had several of.
I was looking around again this year and saw these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K...rds=polyester+hanes+long+sleeve+upf+white+50
I got 2XL but I wear XL when not fishing. The fabric is exactly the same imo. The larger size keeps my wrists covered and allows the air to flow through better than a tight shirt.
Just thought I'd share a possible option.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That's quite a deal for two shirts for less than $25! Think I'll be placing my order soon. So no problems with them sticking to you when it gets muggy and hot out? They are breathable and light weight? Thanks for the tip by the way.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I wear very lightweight long pants as well to minimize sun exposure without slathering on more sunscreen. also looking for a pair of gloves as well. anyone have recommendations for those? [don't mean to hijack -- was thinking of the thread as clothes-instead-of-suncreen topic.] thanks -- joel

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
I watch for sales on Cabelas and Basspro and buy when they have them. My Cabelas Guide gear shirt is my favorite and it was only $14.99. I bought a facemask recently as well but I haven't used it yet on a warm day.

I have a Hanes shortsleeve that I bought from Chasing Tails Outdoors that I really like as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I like the house brand (Magellan) shirts sold at Academy. They are relatively inexpensive as well.

This year I bought a hoodie fishing shirt made by Columbia - Terminal Tackle Hoodie. Before you spend $40 on one, let me tell you they are pretty warm even when not using the hood. The material is a lot thicker than my other fishing shirts (it does make me think about whether the other shirts are really providing the full protection they claim) and the screen printing down the sleeve is annoyingly thick as well. The hood blows off my head pretty easily unless I wear a hat on top of the hood - weird and hot. From the pictures the Aftco hoodie appears to be better designed but I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been gradually coming around to all the sun protection myself. The sunscreen lotions just seem to be more hassle than effective. I've been wearing long pants for a couple years now, and it is true that it somehow keeps you cooler than shorts. It especially feels good if a breeze is blowing through. I've been a bit inconsistent with the long sleeves but that's only because I don't have a shirt made for the summer. I'll get one of those sooner or later. I've been wearing a wide brim hat too instead of a baseball cap. At the end of the day I definitely feel the difference in terms of fatigue because of the hat. I also just ordered one of those Buffs. Not to be stylish or anything but I specifically got the UV version. I've been getting age spots all over the face and the dermatologist checked it and said they are ok, not cancerous or anything. But still they made nervous, hence the uv buff. I haven't tried it yet (still shipping) but I've only heard good things about them, especially how they stay cool even in the heat.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've been gradually coming around to all the sun protection myself. The sunscreen lotions just seem to be more hassle than effective. I've been wearing long pants for a couple years now, and it is true that it somehow keeps you cooler than shorts. It especially feels good if a breeze is blowing through. I've been a bit inconsistent with the long sleeves but that's only because I don't have a shirt made for the summer. I'll get one of those sooner or later. I've been wearing a wide brim hat too instead of a baseball cap. At the end of the day I definitely feel the difference in terms of fatigue because of the hat. I also just ordered one of those Buffs. Not to be stylish or anything but I specifically got the UV version. I've been getting age spots all over the face and the dermatologist checked it and said they are ok, not cancerous or anything. But still they made nervous, hence the uv buff. I haven't tried it yet (still shipping) but I've only heard good things about them, especially how they stay cool even in the heat.
Two things. Sunscreen: There is NOT a water resistant sunscreen no matter what it says on the bottle, you get wet you better re-apply every time, it's sticky, oily, stings when you sweat it into your eyes, can streak your expensive sunglasses, some of it stinks, and it can get on your soft plastics and make them stink, it inevitably opens or leaks into whatever you have it in making a fairly good mess and if it gets on some of your lures can mess the paint up.
The buff style head/neck wear: Love mine, use it regularly, doubles as a good bandana type face covering when riding a motorcycle, fairly cool, dries quickly, wet it and it cools even better; only complaint is having to breath through it, not that it's difficult but I personally find it annoying and may cut a hole or two in it just for that. Oh yeah and it looks soooooo cool.:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I learned from the field workers in the 120* AZ desert before moving east. Thin cotton, white or light blue oversize long sleeve button up, thin cotton light colored canvas pants, and a wide brimmed straw hat. The light colors reflect the heat, the loose fit of thin material allows for maximum air flow, the cotton is an effective wick to improve evaporative cooling. Its cheap clothing you can get almost anywhere. I dont fish to make a fashion statement. Lotions always make me feel sticky so I only use them on my face and neck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Now I just need to find one of those wide brim hats, that is lightweight, breathable, and doesn't make me look like a nerd. Suggestions?
Yeah I agree about the wide brim hat, I definitely feel like a nerd out there, but I'm already a chemist and in my 40s - that train left the station a long time ago, lol. That is my main complaint is that it is heavier than a normal hat. I also agree about your description of the lotions - the sprays too. Maybe they are ok if you are just sitting there on the beach or something, but they are definitely not compatible with fishing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Now I just need to find one of those wide brim hats, that is lightweight, breathable, and doesn't make me look like a nerd. Suggestions?
I have a boonie hat, made by The North Face, that has a mess band around it. Nice and breathable, I wear it all the time at work. One of my coworkers found a similar one at Bass Pro that's a Red Head brand.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as the shirts I linked I am very happy with how cool they keep me and how much easier it is to wear these than to slather on lotion. They don't stick and the material wicks the sweat away and cools in the process. Evaporation seems to be the key and I feel the extra size up help in that regard.
For pants I wear painters pants. White of course and cheap if purchased on sale. I get these in larger size legs when I can but 34X36 is like hens teeth so I've purchased 36X36 and wear a belt. They longer legs are a must in a kayak.
I also wear an embarrassingly wide brim hat. I wear a gaiter sometimes but lately I can't deal with this thing on my face, head and neck. They are great protection but are not comfortable to me.
I still spray sunscreen on my hands and face, neck

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I rock a Boonie hat
How does that work for keeping the sun off your face and neck? Just seems like the brim isn't quite wide enough. I wear a ball cap most times and it barely keeps the sun off my forehead, let alone my cheeks and nose. I suspect the sun reflects enough off the water that hats don't keep you completely protected anyway. Guys with wide brimmed hats, your experience?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered one of these made by ddyoutdoor.
I'm excited to try it out. If I can get full face, neck and head protection in comfort I'll be stoked.
Putting some sunscreen on my hands only would be awesome. Feeling like my entire body is housed in a certain type of product found in convenience store restroom vending machines is not ideal. Not looking to be a pasty white latex bubble boy.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.