NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies and I are looking to do some cat fishing Saturday night somewhere on the Cape Fear River....can anyone recommend a place to park and get down to the river (not at a park because we will be there all night)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you don't mind a short drive .. the area beneath Buckhorn Dam is accessable. Follow Buckhorn drive off HWY 42. Google Maps I've caught some small cats, but I understand it's a good are for largemouth. I'd recommend a vehicle with some ground clearance .. though the entry road is not to bad .. it has it's spots ..

BTW .. anyone know what the striper situation is beneath Buckhorn .. if understand correctly Buckhorn is now the only impassable barrier upstream from the coast. I would expect them to stack up there during spawn ??

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There's also a spot in erwin on highway 217 (I believe that's the road). Goes from linden to erwin.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There use to be a place to get to the river at Captain's Landing near Duncan and I can't remember the name of the road but it is just off of 42 Hwy. I rode down there last Saturday and it's all private where we use to go years ago and you can't get to the river. As mentioned above you can get to it right below Buckhorn and right at the Buckhorn Ramp. There are a few Trails near the Buckhorn Ramp that you can trek back through the woods on. You Can always go down to Ravens Rock below Lilington. It is a little farther but good access.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I haven't fished the Buckhorn Dam in several years, but I used to spend alot of time there when I was in the Army. There's lots of different fishing below the dam. I've caught Crappie, Catfish, Big Hybrid Bass, and the an 8lb Largemouth in different below Buckhorn. It's alot more accessable now, therefore more crowded. Be prepared to get hung up alot. There's plenty of rocks and debris in the water to get hung on , but if you can deal with you will find some good fishing. Small Jon Boats with a trolling motor are great for this area but the current can be very strong. Wading and fishing across the face of the dam is also a good option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.