NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to be staying in Atlantic (near Cedar Island) next week thru Easter. The Skiff is still unconfirmed so we may be shore bound. My plan is to surf cast Ocracoke, Core Banks, and Cape Lookout via Ferry. I will likely travel light to Core Banks and Lookout since we will be on foot once off the ferry. I really hope the skiff comes thru so we can reach drum inlet. If no skiff is available, I may hire a guide one or two days. I'm also going to look for areas of tidal flow between bodies of water like big culverts. Sometimes these areas produce nice fish on the outlet side of the flow. I always look for culverts when shorebound. Bridges and other bottlenecks are good too. Any advice/input is welcome. If anyone wants trade a trip for a day on Lake Norman, just send me a PM.
Hoping for decklegs,
Andy

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you want to hire a guide I've heard noahs ark charter is a pretty good one in harkers island. You could fish near the jetty down my fort macon near the inlet on Atlantic beach. I did talk to some guys who said they were catching some nice keeper mullet right in the inlet. I'd try those two things out if you are shorebound. Bogue inlet pier in Emerald isle may also be a possibility if your willing to drive that far. I'm heading down there this weekend I think and I'll try to find you some information.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Carpenter, if you still have time try google earth or one of the other aerial photometry sites. You will be suprised at how much you can learn studying aerial photos. Capt. Gary may have an open date during that time. The channels out of the ferry basins may be a good deep spot.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Andy---I addition to the PM, I am listing the private ferry service for the other members www.capelookoutconcessions.com If you go to Portsmouth Island, there is surf fishing within hiking distance from ferry landing. They can also provide a drop off and pick up service along the beaches. If you are without a boat and love the wind,water,sand and unspoiled beaches this could be an unforgettable experience providing the weather co operates. If you take boat, I would suggest launching at Drum Inlet Seafood--can't miss it-- its in center of Atlantic right on hwy US 70-- just above the Red and White grocery and docks are right beside road. Usually a group of locals sitting on a bench there. They can and will give exact details for getting to the inlets. Although, I list my location as Atlantic,NC my residence is in Guilford County. I apologize for my absence during your down east visit but I have had this extensive dental work planned for serveral months and wife has been threatening to put a bag over my head when we go out in public. Good Luck! and give a report.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you for all the inputs! We have use of the skiff! ... If it will start/run. I am hopeful and grateful for this awesome opportunity. I will miss your company and must insist you contact me for a Norman striper day sometime. I feel like a kid getting ready to go to Disney World. I look forward to meeting Mickey and Goofy sitting on the bench at the ramp! I already love those old crabs! Good luck with the procedure! And remember, it's alot easier to put a bag on your head than to ask the Mrs. to do it!;)
Look for my report and thanks ya'll again!
Andy

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Andy--- If its blowing too hard to fish the sound--fish the ditches. There is a boat ramp under each of the high rise bridges. Also at Cedar Island just beyond the ferry turning basin is one of the speck hot spots--12ft of water. Right now me or the trout have got to have a break.;) Good Luck!

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh how I hate you aren't going to be there! I'm a ditch fishin' son of a gun.
Blessings mate! I want to talk to you some day so I can say thanks proper.
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.