NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it out to Randleman for the morning till about 1 before I needed to get other things done. Its been a trying past few weeks, and haven't been able to make it out at all, so I took what I could get.

Water temps: 75-77
Winds calm then out of the west.
Skies were kind of blue/hazy with what looked like rain/storms in the distance up north, eventually overcast rolled in. It sprinkled a little bit of rain, so it looked like the bigger rain wasn't going to get the lake.
Water level was up in the grass.
Water was actually the clearest I've seen in a while, stained but visibility about 2-3 feet. I was surprised to see it so clear given the high level.

There were carp and bluegills everywhere. I missed a couple hits on a baby brush hog T-rig, they felt like bluegill nibbles. When I came around in the shade that's when I saw the full force of the bluegills. Right then I decided to switch gears and go with the green pumpkin swim jig with rage craw trailer - to match the bluegill infestation.

Not long after, I came up to a spot where I knew there was submerged brush about 8 feet. I cast out past it and swam that jig along the bottom. When it got out of the brush area on my side, that is when the big one in the picture slurped it in. It was awesome getting that on the jig! It was 6 lb even on the scale. After that I lost the jig on the snag, and then everything else I had weren't quite the same size/color. But on a smaller one with speed craw trailer I got a few dinks, again, just swimming it along the bottom. Everything was sort of near wood and rocks, but not in the wood like you would flip to. Maybe there was a better pattern but that is the best I could come up with before I had to leave at 1. I did see balls of bait in a couple shallow spots, and i tried a chrome rattle trap in those areas but no hits. Notice the beat up tail in the photo - she looked kind of fat - I wonder if there are still waves of spawners coming in. Seemed kind of deep to be spawning though, maybe she was spawned out but feeding post spawn.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Jay, nice fish! I doubt there are any spawners coming in now, but that fish certainly appears to have been spawning. The red tail indicates that activity, usually it's where the males nip the tails of the females to get them to release eggs.

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
My theory this year is that due to less stable weather they are spawning a bit deeper than average, so we never actually saw them. I will choose to see this as corroborating that theory. :) It's been more about the loose 'trash' brush this past week than the bigger laydowns from what I've heard, so that also fits.

Nice fish! Glad you got a big one to the boat, that's a good fish for Randleman!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nice fish. I like swimming jigs but mine are always imitating shad. Going to have to try more bluegill patterns.

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Nice fish. I like swimming jigs but mine are always imitating shad. Going to have to try more bluegill patterns.
That's a good thought. I'm glad you mentioned that, I have been seeing a lot of small bluegill in the shallows at Badin as well. Very interesting thought. Thanks, Jay!

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
I got a 6'2 there a few weeks back I didn't post it.
Smile Water Sky Vertebrate Hat

The photographer tried to cut it off but that's it on the right. :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! And wow, thanks Ncangler, I just noticed this got my first blog award too! I think I've read about 7's and 8's from Randleman on here. A few weeks back the attendant mentioned an 8 was caught a couple days prior. I think they are in there for sure. My problem is that I just can't seem to break the 6 barrier, my goal is to get a 7 but I can't seem to make it happen! When I saw this one come up in the water, the head made me think I finally did it, but the scale doesn't lie! But I'll take a 6 any day!

I love fishin a jig. It's complete glory every time you connect on a hookset! And its a great bait for large fish too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If more folks would practice catch and release, maybe there would more big 'uns left in Randleman. Let's let the memories be from the great photos, and not from the dead fish. Tight lines, guys....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If more folks would practice catch and release, maybe there would more big 'uns left in Randleman. Let's let the memories be from the great photos, and not from the dead fish. Tight lines, guys....
Don't you worry, she was released after being molested with the camera:D

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
My problem is that I just can't seem to break the 6 barrier
I have gotten to about 6 and 1/2, Jay and can't break 7 either... yet. And it's not from lack of time spent on the lake! We'll get there. I don't believe that all the claims of 8lb fish are true, either. What actually happened and what they tell the warden or their buddies are not always the same thing! There are 8+ fish in Randleman, but there are plenty of lakes one can fish that have much better rates on 8+ lb fish than this one. Historically it's been good for numbers of solid 3 to 5 pound fish, but the number of fish caught is slowing down some, as is inevitable with any new lake. Still a great spot, don't get me wrong, and I love to fish it because it suits my style, but eventually it will get more in line with other impoundments as far as numbers go.

I've met and/or talked to almost all the guys that post about Randleman on this site, and they all do catch-and-release, including me. I haven't taken the first bass out of that lake in the 5 seasons I've been fishing it. The photo above was at the CNCBA tournament this past April, and every one of those fish swam away... had a hard time getting them to hold still for the picture, actually. I suspect perhaps your comment was directed to the folks that were taking them out in their livewells the first few seasons to stock their ponds, perhaps not; I don't think many if any of those are here on NCAngler... You are 100% right about what you said, but I don't think those who need to hear it are going to see it on this site. Here, it's preaching to the choir. :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Got a seven there in year one. My friend Fat Steve, Most High Exalted Monarch of Archdale himself, caught an eight there last year on a crank bait. I got a 6 1/2 fishing with Surfrider.
As for numbers, I think it's already beginning to come into line with the other lakes. Matt and I at HPCL caught more fish than Rick and Steve did at SW Park a while back on the same day, 14-11.
And, Trav and I wore 'em out at Badin last week, catching 20 some, and the RRR didn't do that well.
But gonna give SW Park a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jay and Surfrider, and any others who may have felt as they did on reading my post; my comment was not directed towards any posts in this forum, and I apologize if it seemed that it was. Yes, I'm still ****** about the theft of the lunkers in the early years of Randleman and I guess that will stick with me for whatever is left of my outdoor life. I'll try harder to not let it show in public. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In 2012, my son brought in a 9.25 lb. female, which was ready to spawn. She was weighed on a tested Rapala scale in the boat, photographed, and released. The picture was on the board at the lake check-in for a year. Haven't seen the fish since then.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jay and Surfrider, and any others who may have felt as they did on reading my post; my comment was not directed towards any posts in this forum, and I apologize if it seemed that it was. Yes, I'm still ****** about the theft of the lunkers in the early years of Randleman and I guess that will stick with me for whatever is left of my outdoor life. I'll try harder to not let it show in public. Thanks for the reminder.
There was no offense taken on my part! I was just assuring you that this one was released! :cool:
I am a big believer in conservation - people who don't fish often harass me about not keeping the big fish. They don't understand. However, I think it is ok for someone to keep small 14-15" keeper bass occasionally - enjoying freshly caught fish is part of the heritage of being an outdoorsman/fisherman. I think most of the fishermen out there follow conservation, but there will always be meat-fishermen no matter where you go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was at Randleman today, caught 4, largest being 2.5#. Learning the lake and patterns.
Talked to a couple of people at the marina, coincidentally they both caught 18 fish.
Couldn't help think that's a standard answer. Headed back soon.

Harold

1 - 17 of 17 Posts