NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 battles in the fall of 2011. A 3000 and a 5000. I use both pretty regularly. The 3000 gets used about 3 times a week, the 5000 usually once a week, sometimes more. Anyways, it seems like they are starting to have more issues. The 3000 got new bearings this year, but is still not as smooth as it was at first and is really loud when reeling. The 5000 keeps breaking anti-reverse springs for some reason. Just broke the 3rd one yesterday. Not when taking it apart either. I can tell when it breaks when I'm using it by the sound.

Is it common to have to replace parts this often when using them in the salt? They get rinsed every time and re greased if they get dunked. Do the spinfishers have better longevity? Anyone having similar issues? The good news is Scotts bait and tackle has fast shipping in parts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews on the Battles and I think that is why they are coming out with the Battle 2 in September to address peoples dislikes and quality concerns. I don't have any so I cant say anything first hand. I love Shimano but want to try the Battle 2 when it comes out.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a battle 3000, a battle 4000, and two battle 6000s. I also have a Conflict 4000. I have had the battle 3000 for three years and while its not quite as smooth as it once was it doesnt make any noise and I kayak fish so it has been dunked many times. I hardly ever rinse it and have only ever applied a little reel magic on the go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have two 3000's (about 2.5 years old) and one 2500 about a year old. The only problem I've had was a broken bailspring on one of the 3000s and Tex'x Tackle in Wilmington stood behind the product and gave me a new reel. I both boat and kayak fish and have enjoyed the reels. No noise issues and with braid they cast a mile. I do rinse the reels after each use and lubicate them twice during the season. Reel Majic does help with the casting.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Lot of small issues with bail springs, the finish, and in some cases the AR system becoming more and more prevalent the longer the reels are out. Personally I've replaced all my battles with stradics

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lot of small issues with bail springs, the finish, and in some cases the AR system becoming more and more prevalent the longer the reels are out. Personally I've replaced all my battles with stradics
I think I'm leaning that way with the 5000 once I fix it. Are the new spinfisher V's any better?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Broke a bail spring on a Battle 2000. Took apart a back up 3000 to see how it worked.
Ended up sending both reels to Penn for repair & service.
3000 had other issues, Penn replaced the 3000 at no charge.
Total cost was $55.
Both working great again. ..... ICM

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had my 2000 lock up this weekend. Have had bail probs wight my 4000. I don't use them much anymore since switching to stradic s. I'm done with them

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Comparing the Battle to the Stradic isn't exactly apples to apples... A Stradic is 3 times the retail price or more of the battle.

It's more like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes.... The Ford's going to fall short, but is the difference worth 3 times the price?

My two inshore reels get used in salt only 6-7 days a year, and they do double duty for bass rods the rest of the year. I've got the cheap Daiwa Sweepfire 2500 and a Penn Fierce 3000. Both work great, but if they die in 4-5 years.... I'll be happier buying replacements than I would be paying big bucks up front for capabilities that I don't need... It's like buying a Hummer to drive only on pavement. The $70 I have tied up in BOTH reels have served me well for 2 years, and I'm more likely to replace them with the same if they die in another year or two.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The stradic fi and the battle II and conflict are all in the same price range give or take. Just one is better than the other IMO. I use my reels on a kayak and boat alot. I have found even if I were to buy the more expensive ci4's it would be worth it to have one I wAsnt having to have fixed or throw out at close to a hundred bucks and have one that I won't be loosing.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Comparing the Battle to the Stradic isn't exactly apples to apples... A Stradic is 3 times the retail price or more of the battle.

It's more like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes.... The Ford's going to fall short, but is the difference worth 3 times the price?.
A Stradic isn't even 2 times the price (almost but not quite) of a Battle, let alone 3.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Ok, the only ones I've seen are in the 150+ range.

A battle is usually about 60.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I think he was thinking the Ci4. They are pricey. Battles can be had for $75. And IMO they are nice reels.

When I grow up I might get me some Stradics.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: RouseD and ChltBnks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: Brenardo
1 - 20 of 102 Posts