NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a search here and used the googles and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So for all you red drum catchers, how does the wind affect the redfish bite?

I found some things like how winds out of the West or NW will affect the tides negatively and usually make for water clarity issues while winds out of the east or SE will make for an increased tidal flow and blow clean water into the ICW and marshes and those things affect the bite (negatively for a NW wind, and positively for the SE wind). More than happy to hear your experiences with that, but I am specifically interested in how the wind blowing and making surface chop affects the redfish bite. I thought I read somewhere that reds don't like to bite when the wind is blowing, or do you simply need to change your tactics? Do you find areas sheltered from the wind, do you fish the upwind or downwind side of structure, top water or sub-surface, live bait instead of lures?

Or am I thinking on too small a scale and wind is just one minor thing to consider? If this is the case, what are the primary things to consider when planning a trip out to catch some reds? Water temp, water clarity, salinity level, moon phase, baro pressure, memorial day pleasure boaters, etc. And as far as salinity levels, how does one go about finding this information, is there a website or do you just grab a cup and take a swig?:eek:

I have a 2-1/2 hour drive one way to the coast and I only get 22 mpg while towing my boat, so I'm trying to save my gas money for when the conditions are most favorable. I have a free ride on my boat for anyone who replies with information leading to the successful catch of a red drum.:D

Reactions: drjon

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Wind will effect "where" you find a bite but with Reds I would say they will withstand a lot of weather changes other fish will not. Use that wind to your advantage, think about where that wind is pushing the bait? How is it pushing the water during what tide? Is the wind pushing the bait into a cove? Up on a flat from a deep drop? Working the shoreline with the wind to your back is always a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch this and see if you think wind affects redfish bite. If you cant tell from the video the winds were 20-25 and we were behind an oyster bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSdVNK0IkGE
Island Man, so I take it you're a change tactics kind of guy? That video looked like you had a blast, and yes I could tell the wind was howling. So I guess the reds still bite when the wind is blowing, but does it make you change how you fish for them or do you just do the same old thing? I'm a artificial bait user, but I'm not opposed to using live bait, do you adjust anything for the wind?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red fish have been caught on jalapeños.

I personally think your research results are pretty accurate as rule of thumb but on 90% of days there will be a Red ready to chew somewhere.
Really? Jalapeños? If that's true, I have to come fishing with you some time! Awesome.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
wind doesn't matter on reds the more it stirs the water the better they are scent feeders more than sight feeders the big problem is over thinking i always say just go out and fish, but choose the right spot and you will catch regaurdless of wind current lows or highs i have caught drum on top waters in heavy winds and calm waters soft plastics and hard ,you can not catch them on google or reading the best and ONLY way to me is to get out and fish.
if you want to study and learn about drum read about feeding habits and learn there behavior let the rest go and just fish ;)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Put the trolling motor down and cover water. Cast top waters or spoons around oysters and grass long enough and you're bound to find a few. If the wind picks up to the point where boat control is difficult it's time to break out the popping cork. Cover water and don't blow out an area with your motor. I think the biggest problem most people make is that they spook the fish before they ever get to them. Think less, fish more and the rest will take care of itself.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I may throw a little heavier jig for distance and I am careful the position I put my boat in, get blown in the wrong place and you could have a bad day trying to get out. Other than that I think where is the bait. All of the above is Great advice EXCEPT that jalapeno thing. I hear when they eat those it makes the meat a little spicy

Island Man, so I take it you're a change tactics kind of guy? That video looked like you had a blast, and yes I could tell the wind was howling. So I guess the reds still bite when the wind is blowing, but does it make you change how you fish for them or do you just do the same old thing? I'm a artificial bait user, but I'm not opposed to using live bait, do you adjust anything for the wind?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quest,

You are overthinking it. You are cursed with the same problem as I am - elevating the fish in your mind to something they are not. Remember at all times that fish are stupid animals. If they are around and they are hungry, they will eat anything - even a jalepeno. The harder part is finding them and finding them hungry enough.

You ever notice that when you feel great about a lure, you catch fish on it? Ever been in a boat with someone who wasn't as confident in the spot - you caught more than they did. I'm not sure how that works, but somehow confidence and calmness leads to more fish.

You walk around on two legs, you are the apex predator, you are smarter than the fish, even though you, too, might eat jalepenos.

Go out there and catch a stupid redfish. After all, you are good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, redfish just like you.

:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quest,

You are overthinking it. You are cursed with the same problem as I am - elevating the fish in your mind to something they are not. Remember at all times that fish are stupid animals. If they are around and they are hungry, they will eat anything - even a jalepeno. The harder part is finding them and finding them hungry enough.

You ever notice that when you feel great about a lure, you catch fish on it? Ever been in a boat with someone who wasn't as confident in the spot - you caught more than they did. I'm not sure how that works, but somehow confidence and calmness leads to more fish.

You walk around on two legs, you are the apex predator, you are smarter than the fish, even though you, too, might eat jalepenos.

Go out there and catch a stupid redfish. After all, you are good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, redfish just like you.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quest,

Greenmonster, Thanks, I needed that. Didn't think I'd get a lesson from Stuart Smalley about fishing, but I'll take it.

Reactions: drjon

·
Registered
642 Posts
This might not be "advice" per say, but try not to over think red fishing. Find cover, oyster bars, docks, etc, and fish it during an incoming or outgoing tide. If you have ever bass fished, then treat it like that. Cover water with a variety of baits and find structure...can't emphasize that enough. I also look for surface feeding activity, that's the way I have found all of my drum areas behind topsail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A lot of great info that I'll have to try. Don't do a lot of red fishing myself, but the few times I've been successful we fished the back side of oyster bars where the tide was flowing across and they were waiting for bait in ambush. Most of the times they would hit before we even flipped the bail!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.