NC Angler Forums banner

Should kayaks and canoes be subject to WRC vehicle registration fees?

• NO - keep the government out of our plastic boats!

Votes: 93 83.0%
  • Yes - reduced rate and only required for improved public facilities

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Yes - reduced rate and required in all public waters

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Yes - same as other recreational vessels

Votes: 8 7.1%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll based on the dialog in this thread: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f30/vessel-registration-fees-will-increase-jan-5513.html

My personal opinion is that we could chip in at a lesser rate, especially as users of improved public launches. But the problems come with administration and enforcement:
  • Can't enforce the 3.5" numbers on the side (part/mostly submerged on most kayaks).
  • Lack of a coherent VIN system with $200 plastic kayaks.
  • Building a sticker that will stay stuck to pebbled PVC submerged in saltwater.
  • No place to keep a registration form (if necessary).
  • Managing transferability of the stickers.
Starts to sound like more trouble than its worth, especially at a reduced rate to the state.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm having a hard time imagining that the net revenue generated after you subtract administration and enforcement costs would result in a significant amount of money to be left for access improvements. But I really don't know much about how to estimate those costs...

Reactions: tarheel fly flinger

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other states do force kayaks & canoes to register - not sure if anybody from out of state will see this and chime in with details on fees and requirements.

I've looked into taking the yaks to Ohio and found that I have use the 60-day policy to skirt the rules up there (you have 60 days after moving a vessel there to register it with the state). I've got an email from OH DNR that I'll take with me in case I get stopped on the water up there.

Gotta give NC credit for being a canoe/kayak friendly state.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Maybe it could just be a license fee for use of a kayak and not based on the craft itself. Just like a fishing license.

We buy stickers to fund for ramps, parking, access, conservation/regulation etc. So if you use any of these resources you should have to chip in on the pot... it's just fair. Should it be less, of course! You're much less of an impact. (very rare that I will take up for any form of gov't by the way..LOL!!)

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I could see this. You could include in this the jon boats that don't have motors on them also.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Should pedal bikes have to be registered, cross country skis, skateboards or surfboards? People who buy hybrid vehicles can get a tax break. What is the impact on the environment from kayakers as opposed to boats? Why should we have to pay anything to use a man powered piece of plastic. How many more harbor patrol officers have had to been hired due to the increase of people using kayaks? Where will the money that gets contributed by kayakers go to better improving the waters for us? More No Wake Zones, extra boat ramps specificly designed for kayaks? I doubt it. Keep it simple if the boat is powered by man power only then there should be no registration needed. Just my 2 cents.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Not talking environmental impact. I'm talking parking, use of available access. To me the fact that you arent impacting the environment as much is why you get to use the stuff cheap.Not free. I think this should apply to watercraft period. You can always apply some reason for it not to be done.(ex: surfers/sunbathers/swimmers/scuba). But be reasonable.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Be careful or they will impose a tax on Kayak manufactures like the do on fishing tackle manufactures. The Federal government places a 10% tax on the manufacture of all fishing related tackle (used by recreational fisherman) to pay for research, stocking, rehabilitation of habitat, etc of our fisheries (and all those bureaucratic jobs).

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Be careful or they will impose a tax on Kayak manufactures like the do on fishing tackle manufactures. The Federal government places a 10% tax on the manufacture of all fishing related tackle (used by recreational fisherman) to pay for research, stocking, rehabilitation of habitat, etc of our fisheries (and all those bureaucratic jobs).
More hidden taxes? Not our government.:eek: Vote Ron Paul in '08.:eek:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I say "no" to human powered vessels per se' but it starts getting a little fuzzy as to if that segment of the boating public should share the cost of public facilities; ramps, parking, etc. The question is how in the world would you ever enforce that... parking stickers? What a mess!

The government's inability to enforce regulation has never stopped them from inacting licensing and registration requirements. When is the last time you've seen the DOT pull over a landscaper for not having weighted tags on his vehicle?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not talking environmental impact. I'm talking parking, use of available access. To me the fact that you arent impacting the environment as much is why you get to use the stuff cheap.Not free. I think this should apply to watercraft period. You can always apply some reason for it not to be done.(ex: surfers/sunbathers/swimmers/scuba). But be reasonable.
Back in MA public boat ramps charge a daily fee or you can buy a seasonal pass. Why should all kayakers have to pay when many of them never use a public boat ramp. I believe that the people that use the facilities should be charged including kayakers. Why should my money be spent to fix boat ramps that I never use. The money generated by the facility should be what is used for its upkeep. If it needs more money than raise the cost of use. People in New Bern shouldn't be paying for the ramps that I use in Carolina Beach the same as I shouldn't be paying for ramps they use.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ya know, I liken this to bicycles vs. cars. We don't mandate bikes to be registered unless they meet certain standards (head lamp, motorized engine capable of certain speeds, turn signals, etc.)

Same for Kayaks/Canoes vs. Boats. Slap a motor and some running lights on a kayak/canoe, then you need to register it. Otherwise, leave them alone. We have enough Government in our lives as it is (and no, the irony of my last statement is not lost on me LOL!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand the facilities we use cost money to build and maintain. But why do they need to single out certain groups to shoulder the bulk of the costs.

Does my 89 VW Jetta, with a canoe on top have the same impact at the Ebenezer boat ramp parking lot as the guy in his Dodge 3500 Turbo deisel dually pulling a 31 cuddy cabin on a dual axle trailer? I may not even use the boat ramp as to stay out of peoples way when things are busy.
I only take up 1 parking space, he has 4 friends all drive up in seperate trucks to go out on his boat. He is effectively using 6 parking spots.

What about the dog walkers? The bird watchers? The bank fisherman? Their impact is the same as mine yet you dont tax them a bit for their use of the parking lot.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hmmm... got me thinkin... a high gunnel 29 ft long 9 ft wide kayack deep V.... hmmm..... :D
You'll get real buff paddling that sucker around, Dave!
You GO!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
IN THE STATE OF P.A WHERE I'M ORIGINALLY FROM ANY WATER CRAFT,ROW BOAT KAYAK OR THOSE RACEING BOATS THEY USE IN CONTEST WITH THE LONG OARS HAVE TO HAVE WHATS CALLED A MOORING STICKER TO BE ON THE WATER.
ANY BOAT HAVING POWER SUCH AS GAS OR ELECTRIC NEED TO BE REGISTERED FOR SUCH USE,LIKE MY OLD BOAT IT WAS A ROW BOAT BUT I USED A TROLLING MOTOR SO THERE FORE IT NEEDED TO BE REGISTERED WITH THE STATE.
THE MOORING STICKER WAS 5.00 FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS NOT TOO BAD IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.
IN P.A IT WAS A WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF ALL THE BOATS USING THE WATERS AND HOW MANY PEOPLE USE WHAT TYPE OF BOATS OR YAKS.
IF THIS WAS KEPT AT AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE ID BE ALL FOR IT,AS FOR KEEPING THE STICKERS ON OR THE NUMBERS WELL WERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY AND A DRY BOX WILL KEEP THE REGISTRATION DRY AND SAFE.
JUST THINK IF THERE IS A YAK UPSIDE DOWN ON THE WATER AND NO PERSON WITH IT HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHO IT BELONGED TOO? BUT IF THERE WAS A REGISTRATION TO IT AT LEAST THEY COULD FIND OUT.
THERE IS ALOT OF PRO'S AND CON'S BUT AS IS LIFE ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY WHEN OUR GOVERNMENT IS INVOLVED.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We pay more than enough in taxes, the government at every level is just unwilling to use it wisely. Here in Greensboro some politician(s) came up with the "Rain Tax", residents are billed according to the amount of rain water "run off" on their property. Strange, with the drought this year we still pay that tax! How someone proposed this idea with a straight face I don't understand. My Rant for today. Kayaken

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
ON ANOTHER NOTE IF THE YAK IS EVER STOLEN AFTER IT HAS BEEN REGISTERED AND STICKERS IN PLACE AT LEAST IT WOULDNT BE EASY TO REREGISTER.
IM NOT AGREEING WITH THE GOVERMENT ON THIS JUST POINTING OUT THE PRO'S INSTEAD OF JUST THE CON'S

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.