NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with trying to catch shrimp with cast nets this year in New River? I have tried some of my usual spots but have not really had much luck. This has actually been my first season in three years to catch shrimp, not for sure if my usual places just turned sour, or if I am just going out at the wrong times.

For those that are going after Red Fish on New River, I have had some awesome luck with live finger mullets from Sneads Ferry Bridge to Hospital Point. Mostly near Sneads Ferry Bridge though. The same goes with Stingrays too.

Caught a huge Stone Crab this last weekend. This is a first for me. Debated on keeping a claw but was unsure of the regs on them. This one's biggest claw measured 8 inches. Is the meat in these critters any good?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up on the stone crab

Appreciate the reply on the stone crab, will next time keep one of the claws.

Went out tonight to do a little shrimping before the storms came in, but absolutely had no luck. Just seems like my shrimping spots are dry holes now days. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, sounds like I may need to try out the new bridge.

Just got back in from tonight. Not much luck at New River AS around 2100, Sneads Ferry Bridge 2300, but had some luck on the inter coastal though. Not for sure of the name of the place that I was at, but if anyone interested just shoot me a message. Actually seen some shrimp that a family had caught that were between 7 to 8 inches long.

Also caught one of the ugliest fish I have ever seen before, think someone called it a toad fish. Also been seeing alot of eels being caught by some of the other anglers.

Did notice the water was unsually high for a 3/4 moon. Guessing that its because of all the rain that we had in the past couple of days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree the SNCO club has some awesome shrimp. I'll have to take a look at the map tomorrow and see what splash point we were at when we were catching the jumbos. After todays luck I am convinced the inner coastal is the place of the big shrimp right now.

Today was awesome. The family and I spent nearly all day out fishing, crabbing, and shrimping at different locations. I think many others felt the same way. Nearly everywhere we went there was someone either already there, arriving, or leaving.

First Stop was Sneads Ferry Bridge, on the base side of the river. There must of have been about 8 vehicles there. That was too packed for our likeing so we decided to move down the road to Traps Bay. Usually I like to fish with others in the area because it is the best way to pick up new and better ways to fish.

Second Stop Traps Bay, That place too had some guys fishing, and it looked like they were doing alright. We didn't have any luck so we moved down to Mile Hammocks Bay. I did net an abudant amount of finger mullet.

Third Stop Mile Hammocks Bay. That place was busy with anglers, many appeared to be stepping on each other. Some sounded like they were having some good luck. Seems to be a great place for flounder. It was too packed for our liking, but we tried anyways with no luck. Tried to do some crabbing, hoping for another stone crab, but had absolutely zero visits from any crab to the chicken legs we were using. The breeze was nice, coming out of the SE. After about an hour and a half we moved on to stop number 4.

Fourth Stop, an AAV splash point along the inner coastal near Onslow beach on the mainland. Absouletly great luck here. A family of anglers was heading out, and we had the area to ourselves about 3 hours before dusk. Nice breeze coming in and absolutely had zero bugs until dusk. Started out by catching 3 extremely large blue crabs, two 7 inch and one 9 inch. The wife wasn't too keen on keeping the crabs though because they had a lot of algea, or something that looked like algea on them so they went back into the drink for some other lucky crabbers. Hooked a nice Speck Trout while doing some casting with a new lure. Picked up the cast net and began to catch the same sized shrimp as last night. Actually only had five this evening that were about 7 inches, but 68 out of the hundred were about large average length 4-6 inches. The rest were mediums. Was able to pick and choose my sizes after a very short while. Not sure if it is an important note or not, but began catching the big ones about dusk. Not sure when slack tide was but thinking that it was about an hour or so before I began casting. Second cast was the best, actually netted 34 large, plus two jumbo shrimp in one cast. My wife and I were astonished by the size of the shrimp and how many I caught in that one cast as were were throwing them in the bucket. I truely was a fun and exciting day, hope everyone had some fun.

I'll be heading out on vacation this weekend, but when I get back I am going to spend a little more time trying different spots along the inner coastal just casting off of the banks like I did tonight. Especially if it means I can pick up another speck or a flounder as a side benifet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.