NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live towards the West side of Oak Island and am looking to catch some shrimp for bait (with a castnet of course). I have access to a kayak so I can go a little distance. Do you guys have any good spots? Docks on the island? Specific creek mouths, like in Montgomery Slough or Davis Canal? A map with the spot pointed out would be really great.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reach out to this if you have any spots or even tips. I appreciate you guys!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Here's my take on Shrimping. Check out dock with lights at night you will see them flipping.
Low tides with muddy areas are best for finding them..... ICM

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you find somewhere, with lights,you'll be likely to catch shrimp. I liked on Oak Island for a couple of years. We used to go buy a couple of tins of wet cat food, a cheap pair of panty hose and collect some gravel. We would cut lengths of panty hose and shove the wet cat food inside with some gravel. Tie the ends up. Now you have some shrimp chum.
Tie some crabbing twine to the cat food ball.
Find that dock with lights and deploy the chum. Wait half an hour and start throwing the net. We could fill a 5 gallon bucket in less than an hour. We used to bomb the marina in Southport and always did well there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try buying some shrimp binder you can find it at a lot of tackle shops. It's nothing but fish meal and powdered clay. Roll it up in the balls and throw it out and let it soak. A little current helps. Not a lot or to roll away. I've also used canned sardines. I think they work better than cat food.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If sardines work, do you think just cut mullet or something similar to sardines will attract them?
You'd probably have to puree it in a blender. Chunky pieces would probably draw in fish and crabs which in turn eat shrimp. I'm talking can sardines in oil. Like canned cat food it is more for scent and the oil helps. That's also why you need some current to carry the scent. Again I recommend the binder. Easier to use and lasts. COASTAL BAITS 5 lb. Bait Binder The Original Chum Kit | West Marine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts