NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I fish rivers alot and would like to know if anyone has ever seen a side view fish finder for a kayak? Being able to see from the middle to the bank would be great for alot of the river I fish is only about 8 feet deep and 30 yards wide.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I've only seen the Humminbirds - nothing particular to kayaks or even with a smaller footprint. Would be cool to get that side scan view on a kayak though. We can't idle and zig-zag along all day at 5-10mph like the motorboaters can searching for schools and structure. Would be good to know when you're in the neighborhood, just a little off-line.

I don't know what their aspect ratio is (doubt that's the right term)... Is there a relationship between water depth and depth of the horizontal view? Not sure you can see 30 yards sideways in only 8 feet of water.

Anyway, side scan seems to be popular, so maybe we'll start to see some variety in size and price soon.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would not expect that you'd have any luck finding a fishfinder like that that's specifically made for a kayak. But if you see one you like, and you think you can mount the head and transducer, and a battery big enough to power it, go right ahead.

I too share Jeff's concern about depth-to-width ratio -- 8 feet doesn't give a sonar beam much room to spread out... See what you can find about the angles and beam widths involved...

Reactions: SouthFork

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will check on the angles and beam widths and see what I come up with. I have a friend that has one of those cast out depth finders. I will have to try that out.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Humminbird has come out with three small fish finders for small boats and float tubes.

Not sure if they would work on kayaks.

This was in the current Cabelas fishing catalog.

Prices are 120-270 depending on model

I have no experience with Humminbird products. I was just bringing these up because I am looking for a fishfinder for my Gheenoe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information straps57 and gambusia. I went to the hummingbird site and found 2 different modles with side sonar. I would like to see one of these so I could see what would have to take place to mount it on a kayak. Might be a weekend trip to basspro. Again thanks.

Model 120 – Side-sonar capability gives you the ability to mark fish under docks and shoreline weeds, while eight-level grayscale enhances the clarity of the 240V x 160H LCD screen.

Model 130 – 320V x 240H 16-level grayscale provides superior clarity and detail. Fish can't hide from the 455-kHz side sonar

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the information straps57 and gambusia. I went to the hummingbird site and found 2 different modles with side sonar. I would like to see one of these so I could see what would have to take place to mount it on a kayak. Might be a weekend trip to basspro. Again thanks.

Model 120 – Side-sonar capability gives you the ability to mark fish under docks and shoreline weeds, while eight-level grayscale enhances the clarity of the 240V x 160H LCD screen.

Model 130 – 320V x 240H 16-level grayscale provides superior clarity and detail. Fish can't hide from the 455-kHz side sonar
Hi there, if you do make a trip to BassPro and check out the Fishin Buddy Line, be sure to post your impressions of them on the forum! I fish out of a canoe, and have been wanting to look at these.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did check out the fishing buddy, if the shaft would have been a little smaller it would have fit down thru the scrubber holes in my red fish12. That would have been nice. This is the model I have checked out and like, it has the side view.

Now I need to find a way to mount it on my redfish12. Any ideas on how to do this? Below is a little information on this unit.

Perfect for use on small boats, docks and float tubes, these portable sonar units will mark fish and underwater structure you've been missing. Pinpoint brush piles, stumps and fish-holding ledges on the generous 4" LCD screen, then get ready for some hot fishing action. Clamp mount secures easily to most transoms, gunwales and float tube motor mounts. All units have a 240-ft. depth capability, a built-in temperature sensor and operate on six AA batteries

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Now I need to find a way to mount it on my redfish12. Any ideas on how to do this?
My first thought is something like Stu's rod holder bracket from this pic:

It'll be a little different on a SOT Redfish - have to get it far enough out of the way to get your feet in&out yet still reach it, so that may not be a great option.

May be better to go with something like a scotty mount on the gunwale, with the short rod holder stem sticking up and a custom-chiseled block that bolts into the stem, sticking out sideways for the clamp to bite.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do use a crate, But on the red fish12 it is behind me. I guess I can try that, maybe make a bracket that will extend up the side of the yak about a foot, Then it would be right beside me. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you get a model that does not have the pole sticking the transducer into the water you could make a bracket for the transducer and just attach that the the yak and rig the screen up like normal like this New England Kayak Fishing - Access Denied If you have a rudder you could attach it like this, New England Kayak Fishing - Access Denied
I only suggest this because if the transducer hits hits anything it will swing up and hopefully not get damaged. If the whole unit is like the fishingbuddy and it hits something it seems there would be no give to it and the transducer would take the brunt of the damage. Im not sure if the pole on the one you posted swivels if it hits something.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have not purchased one yet for my yak fishcrazy. If i do i wil let you know how I like it. I did not think about the sold shaft on the fishing buddy, that would present a issue in the rivers I fish in. Thanks straps57, now I need to rethink my options.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Hey Jeffonc, that`s not me. That`s the famous Snakehead ! He never fishes without his homemade mount. Not complicated but practical. Mounting the side finder does pose unique problems. Mainly I`m thinking of being in the way of paddling. What happens if you pointed a regular transducer to the side? I have an Eagle portable (also had a humminbird) and was happy with both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.