Where is it?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Thanks ... bummer

·
Registered
657 Posts
More than 40 feet of silt and less than 40 ft of water at the dam, you can bet the developers knew there was a problem before they sold it to the County. Wonder if any of the county "officials" made any money off that deal?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the owner of the dam has changed hands several times since it was built back in the 1920s.

Lake Adger is a very old lake.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
GRWA Director Schuyler (Sky) Conard noted that Northbrook Hydroelectric, the operator of the hydroelectric generating station at the Turner Shoals Dam, which holds back the waters of the Green River to form the lake, had lowered the water level by five feet, so that the company could perform electrical repairs at the structure. She said that Polk County purchased Lake Adger and Turner Shoals Dam from Northbrook in 2009, and is responsible for costs of maintenance.
I think what SC was suggesting is that Northbrook may have been aware of the siltation problem prior to selling the lake to Polk, basically dumping the maintenance costs on the taxpayers ......... and that possibly a council member or 2 may have gotten a better deal than the average taxpayer.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Last year's flooding and near constant full-bore releases from Summit pushed a crapload of silt downstream.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
So most of this may have happened in a year's time?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow! Just read the article in the Tryon Bulletin. The physics of how the siltation occurred is just hard to believe. I echo my original sentiment of depressing...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts