NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
No expert here, but I have read that shallower water species bite better as the pressure is falling. Shalow water leaves its inhabitants more exposed to changes in atmospheric pressure, and they don't feed as much with rising pressure. Deeper water species are not as affected. And from what I have read, falling is better than waiting for low pressure, as the fish are feeding as pressure falls, and are usually finished by the time the pressure has stopped falling.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Kinda like Boxers or Breifs..LOL! Youll get lots of different reasoning on this one. But in Geberal I say Steady to Falling. Rising is often after a big strom front has passed and things are stirred up for a day or 2.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sundrop,Ive noticed alot better fishing on a falling barometer.One summer a number of years ago I would fish Jordan mostly on a falling pressure and could almost bet every trip I could find Hybrids or White bass feeding on top.Could go to the same places on a rising pressure and not a fish to be found.This is a matter of opinion.High or low anytime you can go fishing is the best time.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Falling barometer is the best for fishing. With the falling pressue you normally have cloudy overcast skies. And a lot of time as the front passes you will have rain associated with the front. If this happens during the summer when it has been hot, the cooling waters will trigger a drastic feed of the fish. :rolleyes:

So in the summer head to your favorite bass waters right before the summer rains, providing not light show. The fish will be on a binge and you can cast about anyting and catch em.

The fish start to feed as the fronts approach and continue until it gets really bad weather, barometer bottoms out, or the front passes.

Normal barametric pressure is 29.92 inches of mercury and anything below is considered low and above that as high pressure. ;)

After the front passes you get what is called "Blue Bird Days". the skies are bright blue, sun is shining bright, and usually the wind is whinpping behind the front.:D These bright days send the fish scurring for cover and they lay up until things stabilize for a few days.

Normally 2-3 days behind a major front the fish will start to feed again and usually do go at these times.

Best bet go right before the front moves into your area, just be careful and if thunder and lightning are present then you should head for the house.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's believed that fish with larger swin bladders, like LM Bass, are more effected by a rising bar., making them a little uncomfortable, like when we eat a little too much at the buffet table, so finesse fishing will increase your odds of tempting them when the bar. is high.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Not a genius just have done a lot of bass fishing in my 55 years and the barometer will tell you if you are going to have a good day or a bad day on the water. Nothing like heading for a tourneyment and know the winds and weather, barometer are against you. Those days you just have to man-up and try to get er done.:cool: Like what can I do to tap a fish on the head and get him to open his mouth for this lure.

I also spend a few years as a skydiving instructor for Uncle Sam and in that is the use of a barometer. I learned a lot about pressures in those years.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
everything i've read and experienced seems to suggest a falling barometer is best,however ,predatory fish like bass seem to bite very well in advance of a cold front,when the pressure begins to rise.probably because they're gonna stick their noses in the first cover they can find and feed little under the bluebird skies we get with a frontal passage.but,like the man said,go when you can go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.