NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how many of you guys use multi strand vs single strand wire when it comes to live bait rigs for kings? I have always used #4-#6 single strand with a haywire twist but notice some guys using multi strand and snelling the hooks. Just seeing if you guys have noticed any differences?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Single strand all day. Takes longer to make a rig, but worth it IMO. A lot of guys are switching to seven strand due to the non kink, easy to tie up in a hurry, etc. I have heard of fish with teeth being able to chew through seven smaller strands one at a time easier than one single bigger strand. Single strand hasn't failed me yet so I'll kick it old school.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I like sevenstrand for its limpness. Iv had single strand break on a tarpon from getting kinked. Also, in my experience, usually after catching a big blue or other "non-target" fish the single strand is toast where as the seven strand is still usually good to go. However if the water is crystal clear Ill take the single strand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ive gone back and forth between the two and there pros and cons to both. I initally started with single strand and did not like the fact once it gets kinked theres no fixing it. I personally cannot use a wire that has been kinked the day before, i always redo the rig. Which means i only got one use out of each rig. I switched to mulitstrand and thought this would fix the problem but i was wrong. Multistrand will wrinkle up on you. Which i did not like. So im back to single strand and i cut the hooks off and retie before every use. Good thing about single strand is its cheap. Multistrand can get expensive. Im sticking with single strand going forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.