NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ended up hitting the Davidson this past weekend, fished for about 4 hours soaking double nymph rigs with 4x-5x tippet and zebra midges, size 20 copper johns green and red, size 20 hares ear, prince's, everything I had in my box, still nothing hit. Funny thing was, I was unable to lay eyes on a single fish in the river from about a half mile below the hatchery to the bridge :(. I gave up here and moved over to the N Mills for about an hr. This place has been hit hard it looks like. Worm containers are everywhere.I spotted a few small fish and finally landed one 10in rainbow on a Hares Ear. Fish a little more above the bridge in the park here and saw multiple fish rising, caught one more 12in Rainbow on a parachute Adams ( First dry fly fish!!)

All in all a good day even though I was under the weather, dang sinuses. Wish I could have brought a few more to hand though. Going to have to work on everything before hitting the D again, that was humbling as ****.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Once you get much below the hatchery, the fish on the D act pretty much like wild fish, but they're wild fish with much bigger "windows" to see through than your usual blueliners. You can't screw up the approach on that part of the river. You can't wade noisily, you can't line fish, you can't put your shadow across a fish etc. If you're not seeing any fish in that part of the river, chances are, you've been putting them down with a less-than-stealthy approach.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely the case Dylar, but I'd like to think I was stealthy enough to see ONE. I started at a big pool that was up against a sheer rock wall, started a base of pool and then slowly moved up towards the head saw nothing at all. Though I may have had one take but idk. I've fished wild, and even when I'm not being stealthy I can see one or two at base of pools far off.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Or you were fishing behind someone, which is very likely on the D. Those big holes on the lower river are tough to fish when the water isn't dirty. Gin clear, still water; those are huge windows, man, and the trout can see you from a long way off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts