NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I made our first trip to the Pamlico Monday Nov. 8 and got skunked. Wondering what we did wrong.
We launched at Bath at 10 am and fished around the docks then down to the grassy shorelines at Mixon Creek, then around the bridge over Back Creek. Gave up at about 2 pm.
We fished with Gulp white minnows, Mirrolure MR17, and DOA Shrimp. No strikes, and we saw no surface action anywhere.
Any ideas on what we should do differently next time?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can you tell us what you were targeting? I'll assume trout but just nice to know. If you're after trout look for mud flats that get a lot of sun (morning or evening) and points with moving water. The mouth of almost any creek should be holding trout right now but I don't fish those particular waters so I can't say for certain what the issue was.

Did you fish AR-291? Also, fishing up and around the footers of the Bath Creek bridge is usually productive for trout this time of year. The locals jig them up from the bridge catwalks.

Those waters are @Chris52's home waters so he can probably give you some idea what you might do differently to fill a limit.

Good luck...I'll be down in Swanquarter next weekend trying to fil a limit myself.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fish have not yet committed to the creeks—they are hanging around the mouths but not really moving into them. Crazy enuf—I have been catching between noon and 3, and then the bite just switches off. Temps are hovering around 57-58 in both the river proper and the creek. I don’t think the fish will actually move into the creeks until they are warmer than the river. Look for bait and surface activity and fish there.

Also, you may need to move further east down the river, maybe around North Creek, Germantown, Rose Bay, Swanquarter. Or to the Pungo River at the Wright’s Creek or CB Marina launches. Both of those are great kayak destinations as they are protected waters.

That’s all I got—hope it helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts