NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife and son out yesterday to try our luck....didn't turn out so well. We just got a boat so its an all new ball game for us, done most of my fishing from the bank and local piers. We put out under the high rise and headed south. We tried a few small cut outs in the water way and a couple creek mouths. We did catch 4-5 flounder, right under keeper size, but no drum. We even tried a place were I have always done well with reds but no luck whatsoever. We tried soft plastics mainly, some topwater, popping corks, live bait, cut bait. Any tips??? Water was nasty looking, thought about heading towards the ferry for cleaner water but ran out of time......

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
4-5 short flounder is not a skunk my friend.....if thats a skunk, call me pole-cat
That's funny. I always call an outing with no keepers a skunking as well.
If you can't kill em you can't grill em

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was REALLY slow yesterday, I went out in the morning and fished during mostly a low to slack tide which is not good in the marsh near my house. Sounds like you were throwing the right stuff. I would not worry too much after one tough day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm with OptiMystic I'll throw my smallest hook on a bottom rig and a piece of squid for 20min before I leave just to catch a pinfish so I'm not skunked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Wow! What is happening to society? Fishermen stretching the truth? I can't bear it. Oh the agony!
Seriously, or as serious as I dare to be, I can't go along with these tactics. I have all too often been asked if I caught anything by my wife and, all too often, the reply is the same. I shake my head no and say, "nothing I could keep" if I catch shorts etc. That's just me. I am not judging anyone especially all you cheaters!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Lizard fish are neither lizard nor fish :eek:

When you are ready to venture out of the inlets you can do really well just off Topsail, just make sure you have the boat-handling skills and watch the weather.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the report. There's more skunks out there than most people realize when reading these boards, because most only post a report when they had a good day. There's been plenty days where I would have been happy with 5 flounder and a lizardfish. Heck, just a few years ago those almost keeper flounder would have gone in the cooler.
Keep plugging away and you'll find them drum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts