NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in at the 45 bridge and broke ice for about 80 yards before making it to the river. We zig zagged our way towards the sound hunting for a school of stripers on the fish finder with no luck. Went up to the Cashie River and started our hunt again. Found what we thought was the mother load. Could not buy a bite. Threw everything in the tackle box at them. Zmans, gulp, Alabama rigs, bucktails, spoons. Stuck around them for hours with no luck. Once the trolling motor died we packed up. What do you guys think? Is the fish finder pic a school of stripers or were we mistaken? Talked to 2 other boats in passing and they claimed to share the same luck as us.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
possibly stripers or else gar, but with water temps in the high 30s, they might have just been lock jawed, that's pretty cold. I seem to have a lot more luck with them above 40.

How do you like that 581i? I just got one and need to install.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape Wood
Water Plant Natural landscape Wood Tree
Water Sky Natural landscape Tree Branch
Water Sky Natural landscape Wood Watercourse
Water Sky Water resources Blue Plant
Don't know about the stripers, but if it helps any the crappie had lockjaw too. I tried a couple of good holes on Sunday with only about ten fish caught and they were all undersize. Talked to a guy fishing in a bass tournament and none of their boats caught a bass on Saturday. He reported having fished for eight hours on Sunday without a bite. The Roanoke has been through a lot lately. Not only did it get the cold temperatures but the wind blew the water out a little while back as well. I'd guess the fish are trying to figure this weather out just like we are.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to work pretty well. It came on the boat we picked up at the end of last year. Mostly only use it for depth and water temps. The majority of fishing that I do is between 1-6 feet. It was neat seeing it light up with whatever was schooling under us.

possibly stripers or else gar, but with water temps in the high 30s, they might have just been lock jawed, that's pretty cold. I seem to have a lot more luck with them above 40.

How do you like that 581i? I just got one and need to install.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Must have been why we saw quite a few bass boats flying around. I did not know there was a tournament.

View attachment 69288 View attachment 69289 View attachment 69290 View attachment 69291 View attachment 69292 Don't know about the stripers, but if it helps any the crappie had lockjaw too. I tried a couple of good holes on Sunday with only about ten fish caught and they were all undersize. Talked to a guy fishing in a bass tournament and none of their boats caught a bass on Saturday. He reported having fished for eight hours on Sunday without a bite. The Roanoke has been through a lot lately. Not only did it get the cold temperatures but the wind blew the water out a little while back as well. I'd guess the fish are trying to figure this weather out just like we are.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm betting on gar as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hadn't thought of shad, that'd be cool. Seems like folks think Gar.

??I was thinking gar tended to be more up on the top/shallow end of the graph, usually 10 ft or less....this not correct?

However....I do know there is a bunch of gar in there! Huge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.