NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Yadkin today from around 3-6 (I know, I know, not the best time) above Tanglewood. I've heard it's not really the best spot, but figured I would give it a shot because it's so close to my house. Paddled probably a mile and a half up river before slowly working my way back down and focusing on areas that looked fishy. Saw a monster bass go airborn, but aside from that no real signs of life. Threw almost everything I could think of, from spinners and buzzbaits to tubes, fat albert's and crawfish imitations.

It was still a nice day to be on the river though, and saw plenty of cool birds including an osprey eating a sizable fish and a Cooper's hawk. Next time maybe I'll forget the rod and bring the binoculars :p

A guy fishing right near the access caught a few channels on chicken livers.

Tight lines, and tips appreciated. Getting a little tired of striking out on rivers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very muddy. I've never seen this stretch of it any clearer though.

I definitely believe there are fish in there, river fish just seem to elude me though. I think I have about 2 fish to show for about 10 trips on the Dan, New, and a couple spots on the Yadkin. I'm sure at some point it will start to come easier, just pretty frustrating now though.

And you're right, it very well could have been a carp.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. Further upstream around Shoals it's nowhere near as bad, but I was hoping to find fish closer to home. River fishing probably interests me more than anything else so I definitely won't give up on it.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Yeah. Further upstream around Shoals it's nowhere near as bad, but I was hoping to find fish closer to home. River fishing probably interests me more than anything else so I definitely won't give up on it.
Same here. Always has interested me more. Smaller rivers could be a little more easy to manage or read and catch fish.....or if you're just wanting to stay on the Yadkin wait til maybe it clears up some, if there is such a thing......

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got another month and a half to put some time in on the river, so hopefully I figure it out before then!

The chatterbait is an interesting suggestion and something I admit I haven't tried. Seems like a good idea in such muddy water though. I think I have one somewhere, so I'll definitely try it out next time!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went back today, actually my second time back since this was posted, with a vest-full of new lures. Dished out a few bucks on some better buzzbaits (the $1 walmart ones don't seem to want to stay on top), a couple cranks, mepps spinners and a chatterbait.

I didn't catch any, but fishing some deep runs between boulders I hooked a couple good sized smallmouth on FF's chatterbait. The first one was probably pushing 3 pounds. It ran right to where I was wading, went airborne a couple times, shook its head and spit the lure. I wasn't a happy camper. Second one did something similar. A little slack in the line was all it took.

At least I know there are fish in there now! Can't wait to go back and hopefully land one.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
There's something different about river fishing.

Whatever it is, I can't figure it out. Never have any luck on moving water.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it seems to me there's definitely a learning curve. And I'm sure there are better flows to cut your teeth on than the Yadkin. I'm about 10 trips in with only a couple fish to show for it. I'm glad that I might be finally figuring it out, though!

I also need to start bringing a setup for cats and see if I can't get one while I fish for the bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.