NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, we just had an awesome weekend of camping and fishing out of Carolina Beach State Park! My wife & I frequent the area and camp here pretty often, but on this particular trip, we were joined by mom, dad, brothers & sisters, kids and grandkids and even our cousin, Patricia, visiting for her first time ever from Brazil! I had the bay boat with me and did the normal shuttling of guests around for sight-seeing, island-hopping, sunset cruise, etc. But then, we got down to some serious fishing time.

On Sunday morning, I headed out of the CBSP marina with my father-in-law-Bob, 2 brothers-in-law-Chris & Mars and nephew- Landon. Everyone had hardly slept the night before with all the excitement of the day of fishing ahead. We found the marina vacated by all the pogies I had spotted the day before, but quickly located them in huge quantities at the dredge pond. Two throws of the net and the well was overflowing- off we went!

We fished the lower Cape Fear for the morning, catching a variety pack of blues, specks & reds. Unfortunately, all were undersized or pre-season(specks), so no dinner yet. But, by 10am, everyone on board had landed a fish. So, we headed back up river to check some other spots. By noon, the lack of sleep from the night before had caught up with Bob & Mars, so we dropped them off at the marina. Chris, Landon & I decided to head outside and check some near-shore structure for flatties. This turned out to be a nice move.

We got anchored up on a good set of numbers with the tide coming in. We got some peanuts out on C-rigs and prepared for action. 30 minutes went by and we had been undisturbed, when all of a sudden from the rear of the Key West, I hear, "Fish On!" I look and Chris has a deep bend in a 7' Abu and the SpiderWire is leaving the reel! I grab the net and prepare to assist. Chris and Landon don't get to fish with me often, but always rise to the occasion when the opportunities come along. Chris was ready! After a few minutes of following this fish around the back half of the boat and doing an excellent job of keeping him out of the Yamaha, Chris brought the big flat fish into view. Wow! 3 netting attempts later and he's in the boat! Nice fish! Jim & Chris Mat!.jpg

Baits back out and it's on again! We were on a great piece of bottom and as you know, hang-ups and break-offs go with this territory, so as I'm rigging and re-rigging, my 2 capable anglers are reeling the fish in. I served as Captain/Guide/Net-Man while these guys were getting it done with the Flounder! One after another, with several nice keepers, came to the boat, with these guys looking like salty pros! Landon flounder.jpg
The action became too fast and furious for more pics. I think I see a Go Pro with remote in my future!

With the time flying-while-having-fun, we finally had to pull up anchor and head back in for another great evening in camp. With tomorrow being Chris' birthday, I think he felt he had just received his gift! What a great trip! We had seasoned campers in the group along with first-timers and everyone had a blast! It was nice to visit with everyone and the Lord blessed us with a beautiful weekend. Thanks for coming along guys and can't wait 'til next time!

Captain Jim

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I was there last weekend with a boy scout troop.... We didn't have much time to fish, unfortunately... I had no luck in the hour long break I had on Sunday evening. Glad to see someone had some luck.

But we were in the group camp area, and the mosquitos were nearly unbearable. I literally have more than 70 bites on my body, using deep woods OFF.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words, guys! It was a great time for sure.

Len- Sorry to hear about your "skeeter" trouble. It's normally the no-see-um's that cause the most problems down by the sea. Early morning and late evening, they come out to chow down and sometimes are tough to get away from. I've seen them so bad fishing the marshes, I'd actually fire up the outboard and move! Just before sundown in camp, we always get a fire going and that seems to help with the mosquitos in the evenings.

BTJ

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys. The water temp is still 75-78, so I think the best is still to come. There's some fish around, but the numbers are still a bit off.

As for camping, yeah we love it too and CBSP is a great spot, IMHO. I rcvd some great input from fellow NCAngler members when selecting our tent, air mattress, etc. After many great trips now and a bit of trial and error, we're having a blast!

BTJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts