NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dennis and I hit the HPCL today...Brutal, to say the least. We did get six fish early, a couple around three pounds, but the bite died as the heat progressed. Even my hump managed only two fish. After a bit the heat got to us, we bailed out around noon.. Just can't take the heat like I used to. Four of the six came on shaky head worms, one on a speedcraw, the other on a floating worm.
We may have done better had we not wasted so much time on that hump, but that's the way bass fishing goes. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes he eats you..

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I bet it was pretty hot out there today, Jerry! I was there on Wednesday for about 4 hours in the afternoon. Got some cloud cover late in the day which I think really helped. Had to put a towel on the aluminum jonboat seat to keep from burning my feet and my rump! I bet today was even hotter since there were hardly any clouds.

Had a pretty good result considering the time I had available. Only 1 fish on the hump, 2 dinks on the 'feeding ground' area, but caught several good quality fish in the wood up shallow on main like shores. Seemed to want deep water nearby. Had to really put the bait deep in the branches and twitch a few times before they would pick it up. Shakey heads with creature baits was the winning tactic. Floating worm got 1 dink, C-rig creature bait got one keeper on the hump. The bigger fish were the typical football shape, "broad shouldered." Biggest was 5'4 and was only about 19 inches lol.

Fish Fish products Fin Ray-finned fish Tail
Smile Vertebrate Fisherman Water Outdoor recreation
Fisherman Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Ray-finned fish
Vertebrate Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Seafood

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
They really are strong healthy fish out there.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good job Sam!!!!

We went to HPCL a couple years ago to check the lake out. Got to the gate at the opening time and there was a line waiting. Had to go down the road to a parking lot to wait. Waited about an hour and still was not open. Went to Oak Hollow. Never been back to HPCL. Might have to give them another shot.

Jerry, It was hot at Randleman today too. Way to tough it out for some good fish.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Sometimes they rent the park for private events, Mike. Might have been something like that, dunno. I usually call a day or two before when I'm going just to make sure it's not rented. :D My only gripe about City Lake is that black nasty "witches hair" algae that's in the shallows of most of the lower lake, and in some places in the grassline. I can get around it, but I have had to adapt my tactics away from always throwing weighted T-rigs. Other times I just fish the upper half of the lake where there isn't much of it.... yet.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Summertime bassin' is not for sissys..... That's why God invented night buzzbait raids on posted waters. Rookies....................
I would dearly love to fish that lake at night, heck, 0530 would tickle me, but since I cannot get in there til seven, count me among the "rookies"!
Have fished numerous night tournaments in the past, just not my thing, I guess.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
It's ok the buzzbait bit has been off for last week for me. This hot weather is driving them deep and away form the banks from I am finding. Two Saturday mornings in a row at my favorite buzzbait lake in Cary without a single hit on frog or buzzer or spook. Last night only note was on a t rigged senko

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
High pressure will put them off a late night topwater bite fast. You can tell they won't touch it within 15 minutes. Texas rigged worms will produce same spots on those nights. I always found if you could see stars at night the topwater bite was poor. Muggy thick air even in August was best. Full moon was never good. I always found 10-2 best and again around 430 to 530 Never did much till at least 945 at night.

I was on SH one morning at 4 am and about 415 we heard what we thought was a downpour of rain coming at us from across the lake in the pitch black. Honestly thought we were about ready to get soaked. This went on for a couple of minutes and finally I said turn the troller that way and as we got closer it was a school of bass the size of a full court basketball court destroying shad. These were not the 2 pounders that chase in the daytime! Just when we got close enough to make it out they sounded and we only caught one I think it went on a good five or six minutes before we got there and was maybe a hundred big bass. This was around 1990

Reactions: Abert43
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.