NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time of year when fishing for Sea Trout, a steady but very slow retreive seems to be in order. For this method to work best, I recommend a light rod & reel combo optimized for sensitivity. I use a rod with a cut-through on the upper part of the cork handle so I can lay a finger across the blank for increased feel. I also use braided line for increased sensitivity (it has almost no stretch so it transmits the slightest tug or bump up the line) and a fast action, light duty rod.

When fishing with grubs, use the LIGHTEST jighead for the conditions that will allow you to get to the bottom (but not be an anchor or drag for the line). Then retrieve at a steady but slow pace (wiggling or jiggling is okay but I'm not sure if it help much in water 50 degrees and under). Be ready to detect a slight knock or bump of the line. When this happens, stop for a second or two to allow your lure to rest on the bottom, then give your rod an upward jig and allow the bait to fall again. The fish that bumped your line will likely take the lure as it falls. Thus I call this the "drop in mouth" method. :D

Good luck and tight lines!

Mike

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The same tackle is ideal for fishing under lights except you might want to use just the plastic and a hook. The idea there is to fish a bait near the top not much faster than the current. Tiny baits get the most hits but mirro lures will catch more large trout. Whatever you use needs to be just heavier than neutral bouyancy. Only an occasional twitch while barely reeling. The fish will pretty much hook themselves, no bass style hooksets for trout as you will just rip the hooks out of their soft mouths. AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al --- You brought out a good point here. Practically everyone that I take speckled trout fishing thats accustomed to freshwater fishing all make the same mistakes. They all try to set the hook hard enough to snatch their heads off or try to hoist them in a boat without using a net. BIG MISTAKE! Unless you hook a speck in the roof of their mouth, which is seldom, doing either usually means a lost fish. Also, a very-very light drag. This is some of the reasons speckled trout fishing is a little more challenging than other species. Forrest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.