NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan was simple, throw topwaters to search, it's fish we seek the first day of the week.
Not a Blue fish, not a Brown fish, but a Red fish we seek.
We started here, we went there, but they weren't there, so we went here.
After 10 stops, no blow ups & 1 Pinfish to speak, I was ready for lunch, I was starting to freak.

View attachment 71275 View attachment 71276

I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. Fishing with Mungo is a 100 percent.
He spotted a flash, then a wink or two & yelled. "Right there, right there!"
We threw our topwaters up in the air, they landed with flare, but nowhere near.
He won't be beat, he can't stand defeat, he then stomped his feet & came up with plan.
We which to 1/4 oz. jig heads with Gulp of some sort & fish we caught, we caught, we caught!

View attachment 71289 View attachment 71278 View attachment 71279 View attachment 71280

I followed his lead, cast near the weeds, got weak in the knees cause I caught the disease.
We lost track of time while the tide got low, we had to stay, we could not go.
High fives all around, had more time to fish, we had a good time, we most definitely did.

View attachment 71282 View attachment 71283 View attachment 71284 View attachment 71290

And did we succeed? Yes indeed, yes in deed!
30 Red fish, ( most too big to keep ) & 3 Flounders you see ninety-nine percent all guaranteed ...... ICM

View attachment 71286 View attachment 71287 View attachment 71288

Inspired by Dr. Seuss.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great job! Best inshore report I've seen recently, and fun to read to boot. It got me a little excited about my first kayak saltwater trip of the season this weekend! ...And then I remembered that it is Memorial Day weekend and there will be about 5,000 boats around Southport where I'll be fishing. I'll be back in a creek trying to get away from them. Haha.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
ICM, I need help! I can't catch a red to save my life, but I digress. Looks like you were using gulp shrimp, using jig heads? I tried using them today for the first time and caught a short flounder, but lost the bait. Seems like they break/tear while I'm rigging them and certainly after a strike or two. I tried a circle hook and a bent shank worm/swimbait type hook, and also tried a screw in type keel weighted hook, but each bend of the bait and stab of the hook seemed to damage the bait. My brother gave me the packages I have, possibly a couple years old, could it be due to old age?

Great report by the way, can you tell me exactly where you were fishing? LOL.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ICM, I need help! I can't catch a red to save my life, but I digress. Looks like you were using gulp shrimp, using jig heads? I tried using them today for the first time and caught a short flounder, but lost the bait. Seems like they break/tear while I'm rigging them and certainly after a strike or two. I tried a circle hook and a bent shank worm/swimbait type hook, and also tried a screw in type keel weighted hook, but each bend of the bait and stab of the hook seemed to damage the bait. My brother gave me the packages I have, possibly a couple years old, could it be due to old age?

Great report by the way, can you tell me exactly where you were fishing? LOL.
Gulp does get old in the package, clearer liquid is better than brownish color.
We used several different styles that day: Minnow, Shrimp, Crawfish white is always a good color to start with.
Hope that helps. ...... ICM

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Gulp does get old in the package, clearer liquid is better than brownish color.
We used several different styles that day: Minnow, Shrimp, Crawfish white is always a good color to start with.
Hope that helps. ...... ICM
yeah, liquid is pretty brown in the ones I have. Guess it's time to at least try a new package to determine if it's just me. Thanks

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Wow! Those look like some large drum. How many over slot?

I'm glad you references Dr Seuss. For a second I thought you were trying to lay down some tight rappin.
Yo Yo Yo. Boyeee.
Much prefer Dr Seuss.
That would have been an awkward rap to say the least. Challenger, I've been hitting the Hampstead area as much as my time and the 2-1/2 hour drive will allow. No too much success yet in a couple trips, just a couple trout, a blue and a flounder so far. Send me a PM if you're ever looking to link up in the area, my boat is small but will easily handle 2 anglers and floats in only 5 inches of water so it makes exploring the marshes fairly easy. We can talk old cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.