NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2.5 merc that usually runs like a top........but today she cranked right up but seemed sluggish...I kinda thought that maybe It was because of the weight I had in my jon.....I stopped and put the electric down and fished.....when I went back to crank her she wouldn't start. Then I realized why she wasn't running good...the vent on the gas tank wasn't open. Usually she wont even crank with it closed but will crank right away with it open....She wouldn't crank almost like she was flooded but I know I didn't flood her....pulled the spark plug and cleaned it and still no go......I wonder if that pressure maybe did something to the float in the carb??? even after several hours of no spark plug in when I put it back she wouldn't crank.......any thoughts??

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
is it a fuel pump model or just gravity feed? If it has a pump the suction has damaged the diaphragm in the pump. It it is gravity the float my be stuck. Put a bit of gas in a drink bottle with a pinhole punched in the cap or dish soap bottle to squirt a bit in the throat of the carb and see it it hits. Make sure you are getting spark too at the plug (coincidences happen). I dont like to use ether/starting fluid in outboards but a quick little shot is ok, no more than that and not more than once or twice as it cuts the lubricants out of a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it a fuel pump model or just gravity feed? If it has a pump the suction has damaged the diaphragm in the pump. It it is gravity the float my be stuck. Put a bit of gas in a drink bottle with a pinhole punched in the cap or dish soap bottle to squirt a bit in the throat of the carb and see it it hits. Make sure you are getting spark too at the plug (coincidences happen). I dont like to use ether/starting fluid in outboards but a quick little shot is ok, no more than that and not more than once or twice as it cuts the lubricants out of a 2 stroke.
99 percent sure it is gravity fed......I will try to crank it this pm or tomorrow pm and see....hopefully she was just flooded badly but I doubt it......I crank flooded 2 cycle engines daily (for customers) and this just seems different

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the engine gods are getting you back because you haven't done anything with my 4hp Yamaha!

-Jeff
hahahaha...ran it today after wk.....she ran fine....guess she was flooded .........gonna call the outboard man Monday on your anchor...hahahahha

·
Registered
657 Posts
WD-40 works just as well as starting fluid and you get a little lubrication too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts