NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill and I were out for the second weekend in a row. After a lot of debating we made the hour drive from Hillsborough to a stretch of river we had never fished before. We needed to find somewhere clear to do some filming for a bait company Bill is working with and nowhere close to home fit the bill. This river was particularly small - basically creek size, with a few small feeder creeks that fed it clear water most of the time.

We had to do some bushwhacking and getting the boats in and out of the water was a chore, but it was worth it. We ended up landing around 50 fish - a few bream, crappie, and catfish and about 35-40 largemouths. Most were 12"-14", but our best 5 went 21 lbs. The highlight of my day was a 6 lb 10 oz brute that hit a plastic worm, peeled drag, and pulled me all over the river before I finally landed her. Bill hooked a giant a few casts later than turned out to be a 10 lb+ catfish. We caught fish on just about everything - plastics, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwaters, and swimbaits. And the Biovex baits we set out to review were quite impressive, particularly because we were skeptical at the start.

All in all it was a great time on a new stretch of water with a great friend - can't ask for much more! Check out the full write-up (much longer version) at Man Powered Fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all. The camera was a Canon. I think a Rebel Powershot or something like that. Bill (billkohlsmedia.com) could give you the details on the equipment, editing, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very nice! My dad and I used to fish a spot on Mayo Creek (before they dammed it) that looked very similar to that. I could almost jump across it but it held bass, pickerel, and everything the lake now has. It would take us about 30 minutes to walk to and the first few trips were on my dad's shoulders. Can of worms and a Zebco 33, almost brings a tear to the eye to think of those days now...
I'd hold on to the specifics of that spot, "call a place paradise, then kiss it good-bye."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.