·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R
Why smallies? They are the most overrated gamefish species imo. There are an abundance of very fine picturesque largemouth rivers near Raleigh.
Are you on glue?? Lol Smallies for a couple of reasons. 1. Wading around in a river is about as zen as it gets for me. 2. LMB don't have any where near fight in them that smallies do, esp on a fly rod. 3. Everyone and their mother fish for LMB. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing for them. Just not to the same degree as carp, trout or other more interesting species.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, I've waded for largemouth in rocky rivers for 20 years before moving to smallmouth ****. Good luck trying to catch a smallie on topwater with your flyrod....jis sayin. Smallies fight harder than largemouth? BS.
I can throw top water plugs for smallies the same way I do for large mouth.... Not one bit of difference. I'm willing to bet if we took a poll on the forum, which is a harder fighting fish, SMB or LMB, SMB would win. Just sayin...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can throw top water plugs for smallies the same way I do for large mouth.... Not one bit of difference. I'm willing to bet if we took a poll on the forum, which is a harder fighting fight SMB or LMB, SMB would win. Just sayin...
13 smallies pull hard. 19 inchers, no so much. Large smallmouth tend to be old, or tired females. I've also never had a smallmouth over 16 inches to jump. Topwater? I'm talking about torpedoes, mouse patterns, popping bugs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
13 smallies pull hard. 19 inchers, no so much. Large smallmouth tend to be old, or tired females. I've also never had a smallmouth over 16 inches to jump. Topwater? I'm talking about torpedoes, mouse patterns, popping bugs.
Yes top water. There are plenty of top water flies. Deer hair mouse patterns, Dahlberg divers, sneaky Pete's, poppers, sliders.

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/188

http://www.smallmouthflyangler.com/articles/foam-sneaky-pete-fly.php

http://globalflyfisher.com/video/mouse-rat

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
338 Posts
R

Are you on glue?? Lol Smallies for a couple of reasons. 1. Wading around in a river is about as zen as it gets for me. 2. LMB don't have any where near fight in them that smallies do, esp on a fly rod. 3. Everyone and their mother fish for LMB. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing for them. Just not to the same degree as carp, trout or other more interesting species.
Can't believe you have to defend your wish to catch a fish on here. Why smallies? Why not?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've always heard the two have a comparable fight when coming out of similar habitats, but I don't have enough river fish under my belt (yet) to confirm or deny that. There are a lot of clear, fast flowing fall line streams around you that have sporty largemouth and are about as zen as it gets.

To answer your original question though I think you'll find a good number of options an hour and a half or more away, but would be hard pressed to find anything closer than that. That post jeffonc linked was a good one and probably outlines all of your best bets. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Sorry lthrnck03, I probably won't give much information until I've met you in person. Feel free to join us at any of the Red X Angler meet and greets and get to know guys. We really are not a bunch of spot hoarding jerk wads. Honestly we strive for fellowship with fellow anglers. The problem is to many of us have posted a location on here and had it blown up and fished out within weeks. It's not that we don't like you, it's that we don't know you. Good luck to you and who knows maybe we will fish together some time in the future.

However yes there are several good smallest rivers north of you. As well to the north west. The Dan, the New, Broad is a bit further. Knowing a river is one thing, gaining access and finding fish are clearly another.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I've always heard the two have a comparable fight when coming out of similar habitats, but I don't have enough river fish under my belt (yet) to confirm or deny that. There are a lot of clear, fast flowing fall line streams around you that have sporty largemouth and are about as zen as it gets.

To answer your original question though I think you'll find a good number of options an hour and a half or more away, but would be hard pressed to find anything closer than that. That post jeffonc linked was a good one and probably outlines all of your best bets. Good luck!
agreed...........Luv Smallies but they are over rated......I will put up a river fast water largemouth against any same size smallie any day

Closest Smallie water to Raleigh/Cary 1 hr 15 mins

80.11 miles from my house:D..mapquested it .....5 miles close than the other 2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check out the Yadkin from Donneha upstream around rocks. Be ready. Drive into the Yadkin River section of Pilot Mtn. State Park(check out the NC Delorme Atlas), get as close to the river as you can, and wade fish around the island or the near shore if water too high. Good Luck. Be ready.

·
Registered
283 Posts

I'd say very comparable in similar rivers environments, but theres just something about smallmouth that makes them freaking amazing!! Can't beat a solid bronze back any day of the week. We catch them on topwater all the time, sometime while trout fishing with 5x tippet one will come up and suck in a bug.... never know... They are worth a longer drive, just head on up to Asheville and get ya feet wet!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Knowing a river is one thing, gaining access and finding fish are clearly another.
Truth!!

BTW, I have caught LM and SM in both rivers and lakes. My opinion is River fish are significantly tougher than lake fish but smallies overall are harder fighters than largemouth. Some LM will just shake their heads and kind of let you drag them in, I've rarely encountered a SM that doesn't get sideways and fight hard. Also the body shape and the tail of a SM are better suited to generating more power. Finally, SM are much more likely to come all the way out of the water on a jump than a LM.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.