NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the redmon dam section of the french broad and I am sporting some new "jewelry" went to unhook a small bass and he started to shake his head while I had him lipped and he wound up putting the front hooks of a rapala countdown through my finger. tried to pull it back through, and the fishing line trick, but nothing worked, so I had to drive home with this 5 inch long lure attached to me. had a couple of stares, but no laughs when I stopped for gas. I may start mashing the barbs down on my lures like I do my flies.:eek:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That would make you a believer in wearing a pair of side cutting Manley or Seargent pliers. You could have snipped right thru those hooks IF you had a pair handy. I rarely carry mine freshwater fishing though. But... with those big Muskies you certainly need some kind of pliers just to unhook your fish. You just made me realize that I should be looking for another holster for mine so I have them on hand anytime I go fishing instead of just keeping a pair in each saltwater tackle box. Like you I would probably be wearing unwanted jewelry to the nearest mechanic's shop or home. So far I have been lucky but I have a feeling about being overdue for that to happen.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Had a similar incident with my father-in-law. Jerked the lure out of the bushes. Lure stuck in his shoulder past the barb out the other side. Cut the hook and pulled it out.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
that is why i pack calcutta 6" wire cutters ya never know what ya may have to cut..

been there only it was a 3/8oz rattle back jig-you have any idea how big those hooks are??

zooker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.