NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice. This is the first time I've heard of this river being mentioned. Thanks for that. Looks like you are in prime area for your native trout hunt. I'm at least 4 hours away from the closest potential streams.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
you are only 1.5 hrs away from a river with good3-5 lb smallies..

·
Registered
822 Posts
You can catch Smallies like that all the way downstream to Douglas Lake in Tennessee. I've fished the lower parts of the river several times and caught plenty of 15-18" Smallies. They like Hellgrammites! That's what we fished with the first time I floated the river. I bet they'd smack plastic Hellgrammites with a bit of scent on 'em. They go nuts for the real ones!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Are there decent access points along the banks in that area?
Very few. I know that we put in some below Nolichucky Dam in Greene County. It's hard for me to say where because so many of the highways have different numbers now. I believe we put in just upstream from a bridge that is now U.S. 321. There was no place, then, to put in at the bridge. We followed a road that was near the river for about a half-mile. We came to a house right on the river. We offered an old lady $5 to launch there. She accepted. Right after we got the first of the two canoes out of the truck, her drunken son pulled up in a car and pulled a shotgun on us and told us to get off his land. Meanwhile, a man pulled up in a car and told us we could put in at his house not far away. We got his phone number and put in at his house the second time we went.

We portaged around a low dam about two-thirds of the way on our run. We took out at a bridge in Cocke County. There were no parks or public looking places on our two-day float. That could of changed by now. This was in the 1970's.

We had a screen with wood on both sides that we could roll up. He had a hockey stick that lost it's blade to stir up the rocks. Hockey sticks were wood back then. We stirred up the rocks and the Hellgrammites let go and washed into our screen. At shoals we caught Catfish, Bream, and Smallmouths or lost our bait as fast as we could cast. I caught the biggest Smallmouth by a very small margin. It was 17.9 inches on the first trip. There were several other ones over 17 inches.

On the last day we were paddling down a long pool to get to the next shoal. I was in the front of the canoe. The guy behind me had a rod with a Hellgrammite on it hanging over the side. The bait was about a foot above the water. I looked back at the instant that a 17 inch Smallmouth jumped out of the water and grabbed the Hellgrammite and hooked itself. The guy grabbed his rod just in time and swung that Bass into the canoe. That's how much they liked Hellgrammites! On our second trip somebody caught one that was just barely shy of 20 inches. There were lots of 14-17 inch Smallies on both trips. We only caught a scant few Largemouths. I'd say less than 5 both trips combined.

There's probably some subdivisions along the river these days where we saw none. The river goes very close to I-81 for a while these days. The single houses we saw were very spaced out back in the 70's. The river goes very near Greeneville too. I bet it's changed some! .....especially near Greeneville.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts