NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one fished the Fisher River for smallmouth below the trout water section recently? I fished Turkey Ford and Hamlin Ford Rd without a hit. The water had some stain to it even though no rain. I'm not looking for any ones hot spot just some info of what to use around there and Mitchell River. Thanks- Chad

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Don't know that location but here are some universal baits for river smallies.

2.5-3 inch Green Pumpkin or GP with orange flake tube on a 1/8 oz jig head. A tube is the all-time #1 river smallie lure and GP is the best all-around color ever. If you can't get bit on a tube then they aren't there or aren't going to bite, IMO. Cast into eddies and use a lift/drop retrieve. If you are hanging up excessively then you can t-rig the tube. Use a 1/8 oz colored bullet weight and rig the tube on a 1/0 off-set shank or EWG worm hook.

Another great option is a 3" senko type lure in black (dark smoke is OK) on a 1/8 or 1/16 oz jighead. Looks like a drifting helgramite. Rig wacky and drift these in current seams and on the current edges of eddies. Don't work the lure just let it drift and watch for strikes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The Smallies are on beds and such in this area. The only fish that will probably bite now are those around 6-7 inches in length unless you are lucky enough to find a spent female willing to bite. I'm not going to chase smallies until after Mem. Day. You missed the pre spawn by about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If it looks like a spinnerbait(chartreuse) they will nail it....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great tips everyone!! I hope to put them to use over the next few weeks. I've caught several smallies over the years while trout fishing but have just started to make them a target. In the mean time I'll go make a final round or two with some DH trout before they are retired. Happy fishing to all.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Spinnerbaits, grubs, crankbaits in craw colors, and plastics will all catch smallies. I caught several a couple weeks back. Spinnerbaits have produced the largest numbers of smallies for me..they'll eat virtually anything a largemouth will so if you fish the correct areas they'll hit it.....good luck

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ditto what mrpossumtail said. I hit a few of my favorite spots on Stewarts Creek and got nothing also. Venture further up river, you might be suprised. I caught a 14 incher at Fisher River Park. Try small Mepps inline spinners and Rebel Wee Craws.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Don't know that location but here are some universal baits for river smallies.

2.5-3 inch Green Pumpkin or GP with orange flake tube on a 1/8 oz jig head. A tube is the all-time #1 river smallie lure and GP is the best all-around color ever. If you can't get bit on a tube then they aren't there or aren't going to bite, IMO. Cast into eddies and use a lift/drop retrieve. If you are hanging up excessively then you can t-rig the tube. Use a 1/8 oz colored bullet weight and rig the tube on a 1/0 off-set shank or EWG worm hook.

Another great option is a 3" senko type lure in black (dark smoke is OK) on a 1/8 or 1/16 oz jighead. Looks like a drifting helgramite. Rig wacky and drift these in current seams and on the current edges of eddies. Don't work the lure just let it drift and watch for strikes.
Yamamoto cut tail worms should be on that list as well. I have caught over 100 smallies on the New in one day and used three bags up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts