NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have plenty of time to fish this Summer and wanted to try fishing for smallmouth bass from a whitewater canoe on the French Broad river. Are there easy sections (meanning I&II) of that river that are productive for smallmouth? If so, where are the put ins and take outs for those sections. The hot weather has slowed down the fishing in some of my favorite spots and I want to try something new. redear

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
try the section between rosman and the treatment plant. nice float. section between the asheville airport through biltmore estate to the transfer station is canoe water also. check for maps online. It will be at least 2 weeks for the river to clear if we get no more rain.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Find info on safe flow rates for that river, and pay attention to 'em. A buddy of mine was among the group that had to be rescued from Uwharrie last week. High rivers are really mean to paddlers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. The "if we get no more rain" part worries me. Does that mean heavy rain or any rain?
ps. From what I've read poppin' bugs work on smallmouth. Is that right?
redear

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
as of now, the water is a thick yoo hoo color, and in the banks. it usually takes at least a week to clear after it is up this high. If we get more heavy rains, the cycle starts all over again.:( as for the popper question, I like #6-1o dahlbergs, and 6-8 foam bodies. I also like to fish them downstream, coming up through the targeted hole, worked for me for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.