NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a NC fishing site, but my wife and I may be going to Smith Mtn Lake for a week in May. I have a couple of questions here.

#1) How is the fishing there? I have seen it on Bassmasters, but ...haven't heard anything else?

#2) I thought about pulling my boat up there. The place we may be staying at has a personal dock. I know I would need VA. fishing license, is there anything I would need for using a NC boat in Va.? Temp boating license? I had heard in VA. you had to have a boat license?

Just curious and completely dumb here!;)

Be Blessed, Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was up there at a tournament a few weeks ago, fishing looked pretty good (I wasn't fishing). The water temperature was at 45 degrees and many teams caught their 5 fish limit with bags up to 20 lbs. Two guys I talked to at the Wendy's after the tournament said 5lb largemouth and 4lb smallmouth are the norm on the lake--I saw fish up to 6lb weighed. Most of the guys in the tournament fished spoons around deep boat docks and crankbaits/jerkbaits around shallower structure. The water is really clear and deep (up to 120ft, with 60-80ft normal in the middle. This lake is massive; a house that is a 10 minute boat ride away can take as much as an hour to drive to in a car.

Not sure what else I can tell you about the place, if I think of something else I will post it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.