NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to work my way through the freezers full of fish I decided to try smoking some this weekend. I tried smoking fish one other time with disastrous results so my wife and I were a bit skeptical going into the project. This time, the fish turned out great.

Kept things pretty simple. I used mahi and mackerel fillets that were about 3/4 of an inch to an inch thick in the middle. Covered them liberally in a 1:2 kosher salt to brown sugar cure with a table spoon of garlic powder and black pepper per cup of brown sugar. Left the fillets in the fridge for 4 hours. At this point the fillets are sitting in a syrupy goo which I rinsed completely off. Then I dried the fillets with paper towels and put them back in the fridge for another 2 or 3 hours to develop a pellicle layer (i.e., the fillets get shiny and the outside is firm and sticky to the touch).

I set up my big green egg for indirect cooking at 190 degrees with soaked alder wood chips for the smoke. It took the king mackerel about 3 hours and the mahi almost 4 hours to hit 165 degrees. The outside of the fillets developed a tough golden crust which is really salty, but the meat inside was awesome. Supposedly it will last in the fridge for up to three weeks, but I doubt mine will be around that long.

I think I am going to experiment with the length of the curing time to see if I can make the outside a little more palatable. Or maybe I just need to catch thicker fish.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, ha. Yeah, I hear you NCState and it definitely crossed my mind when I was I was doing it. The issue is that I took two charter trips last year and was the only local in the party which meant I brought home all the fish. On top of that, I shot three wild pigs at my in-law's in Oklahoma over Christmas and brought them home as well. Between my place in Charlotte and Emerald Isle, I have three normal freezers and a chest freezer and none of them had much room at the beginning of the year. It's a nice problem to have, but it still means that I've got to find ways to get through it all.

Definitely glad I invested in a vacuum sealer though. The mahi and wahoo look and taste as good now as when they were packaged up in May and November.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have some King in my freezer I am planning on cooking tonight myself. The oily fishes are best for smoking. I used to smoke my blue fish and turn into pate. Although I am not smoking mine this time around. Let me know how it turns out. You may want to trim the edges to reduce salt/toughness.

In this case, after defrosting the fish I will soak it in ice water and pat dry. This removes excess oil. After which I thoroughly rub blackened seasoning over the entire chuck (size is like a pork loin) and grill. Some got a taste of this at the Bay River M&G last year. I use this for fish tacos.

sauce-
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup yogurt
juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon cilantro

Salsa-
2 ripe diced Mangos
1 diced red onion
2 minced Jalapenos
1 rounded teaspoon Cumin
Juice of 2 limes

Fill soft tortillas and add Red cabbage for crunch

Serve with refried beans and Spanish rice.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
i understand man my freezer is pretty slammed still too. i really need to get to putting a dent in it

Ha, ha. Yeah, I hear you NCState and it definitely crossed my mind when I was I was doing it. The issue is that I took two charter trips last year and was the only local in the party which meant I brought home all the fish. On top of that, I shot three wild pigs at my in-law's in Oklahoma over Christmas and brought them home as well. Between my place in Charlotte and Emerald Isle, I have three normal freezers and a chest freezer and none of them had much room at the beginning of the year. It's a nice problem to have, but it still means that I've got to find ways to get through it all.

Definitely glad I invested in a vacuum sealer though. The mahi and wahoo look and taste as good now as when they were packaged up in May and November.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'll want to try a 12-24 hr soak in a brine containing the same ingredients as your dry cure. Same principle. Anyway, smoking (fish, that is) is great fun and great eating. In my experience curing in brine as opposed to a dry cure has the same smoked flavor, just not quite as salty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.