NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a pic. Saw a snake yesterday fishing in the neuse river around ft barnwell. Best pics online match to an eastern garter snake(the back was small hatch type patterned between stripes, not blotch patterned like a water snake), but this one was easily 5' long. It was swimming a creek and climbed a cypress in the creek center. Does anyone have a better fit ID? I took herp in college but don't remember any looking like this one. First one I have seen while fishing, whatever it was.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cotton Mouth would probably be a bit wide, I'm thinking rat snake, they come it many colors and patterns.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very well versed on the cottonmouth and red belly snakes. It definitely was not either of those. It did look similar to the garter pic, but the stripes were not that pronounced, and of course it was long. That rat snake pic is very close in coloration of the body and likewise the patterning, except that there were no darker blotches. Due to that, and it's sheer abundance, maximum lengths and variations, I think I will study a few more pics of the dreaded "chicken snake".

it really seems like any time there is a question of ID, it is 80% of the time a rat snake, and the rest are brown water snakes. But of course for all my family and friends they are ALL moccasins and copperheads. :D

Thanks guys. Thanks for that pic frudaddy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well didn't take long. Apparently I saw my first yellow rat snake.up to now I had only seen black. Thanks again.

side note. I also saw my largest brown water snake to date, and apparently it was a fine specimen, as it was 5'. I just saw the record is 69".

·
Registered
247 Posts
...But of course for all my family and friends they are ALL moccasins and copperheads. :D
I have noticed this as well, if it's swimming it must be a moccassin, on dry land it's either a copperhead or a rattler. People don't even know that almost every snake can swim just fine, and I have never seen a long shiny black copperhead. I have a tendency to stop and look, so I'll actually know what I saw, mostly black racers.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
El Chupacabra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.