NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
YIKES! I had a snakehead in an aquarium once- before I knew the danger of them taking over. That thing was AGGRESSIVE. Sold it back to the fish shop- hope they were responible with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snakehead and bowfin are two distinctly different species. Bowfin has a short anal fin, while the snakehead has a long anal fin.

Bowfin vs. Northern Snakehead

The Snakehead, a foreign invader of several species that is currently on the "kill it" list, somewhat resembles a bowfin. To prevent any fine bowfin being mistaken for this Chinese terrorist, please click on these links to see the difference. Most notable is the anal fin - only an inch or two long in the bowfin, but almost half the body length in the snakehead. To you snakehead experts, yes it is a Giant not a Northern, but since it was our picture and clearly showed the long anal fin, the key identifier, I accept it as a reasonable facsimile.
The one in the picture above obviously has a long anal fin, almost half it's body length. Common misconception that bowfin and snakehead are the same.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Yeah, if you catch one of those things stick a knife through its head DO NOT let it live. They are spreading and devouring every other species and will attack fish twice their size.

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
15 Posts
What a shame this gentleman threw it back. I understand where he is coming from, but if there was any question, it should have been killed. Maybe it is not understood the how horrible of a species this is. If there is any question in anyones mind, please err on the side of safety for our lakes and rivers, kill it.

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Backlash, thanks for that link. I've downloaded the pdf version of that warning, and have contacted the NC Wildlife Commission to see if they'd sponsor some "plasticised" copies of that. I told them I tour almost all of Lake Norman and would volunteer to post these at all the Marinas, launch sites, etc., if they'd provide them to me.

We'll see what happens. I'm on Lake Norman, which is right in the middle of the Catawba River chain, so could be impacted by this devlish fish....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see what they have to say... I'm willing to hand them out, but I don't have the money to make the copies with some kind of plastic on them. Tackle monkey got all my spare money...

·
Registered
36 Posts
My guess would be that people buy them for aquariums and when they get too big they dump them in the nearest body of water. It looks like with the problems they pose they would stop the importation of them into the US just as they do with exotic plant species. Either way, the first step to stopping the problem is to inform people that buy them about the dangers they pose in the wild. Many pet store owners probably wouldnt like to threaten a sale, though. The next step is to kill them if you catch them, and dont just throw them on the bank like we do with bowfin, they can move on land from one pool to another an are quite mobile on land, for a fish. There are enough species competing for food around here!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There was also an article about them and the above catch in the N&0's Outdoor section yesterday.
Nasty looking fish! The man in the photo above even looks a little timid holding it on the bank.
At first glance I too thought it looked like a Bowfin (we always called them black fish).

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sounds like they have put together to go back to Wylie on a Snakehead hunt. There was a guy saying that he a group that is going to try to catch the fish that was released. Might be shocking if they catch more than one, if any at all.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey Tom, I'm confused as to how this sneakhead can,as the article reads, travel to search a new water site on land. What or how do they travel? Surely they don't swim on land or do they?

Very interesting reading the article I must say.

Jim

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hey Tom, I'm confused as to how this sneakhead can,as the article reads, travel to search a new water site on land. What or how do they travel? Surely they don't swim on land or do they?

Very interesting reading the article I must say.

Jim
They can actually walk on their flippers/fins..they can breathe open air for an extended time as well so they can cross flats to get to other habitat. There are catfish in some parts of the world that do it too as well as bury themselves in mud and secrete a slime to keep them moist during droughts...
Evolution in action!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sundrop, let me get this straight now. I could be out walking the woods and might come across a three foot Sneakhead walking on his flippers or fins trying to find himself a new habitat. Well that would sure be a heck of a field trip wouldn't it?

Jim

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sundrop, let me get this straight now. I could be out walking the woods and might come across a three foot Sneakhead walking on his flippers or fins trying to find himself a new habitat. Well that would sure be a heck of a field trip wouldn't it?

Jim
Well, I dont think they can quite do that, but a shoal or a creek bank won't stop em..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Didn't some other fishermen catch (or at least see) a snakehead in Lake Wylie a few months back, maybe late in 2006?

Snakeheads anywhere is bad news for native species. They're pretty voracious, from what I understand. Of course, some of our best sport fish weren't native: brown and rainbow trout were both non-native species introduced into the NC mountains, and now compete with brookies. They're nothing like a snakehead, though........

Noah
Carrboro, NC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.