NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months I have been experimenting with the duolock snap. If you aren't familiar with it, it looks similiar to a coast lock snap swivel with out the swivel.

I decided to try them because I was tired of spending a lot of time tying knots while fishing. When fishing for specks, I change lures often till I start catching fish. Also I like to use a loop style knot so that the lure moves more natually (more action) which takes a little longer to tie than some of the other knots I use.

So far I can't say I've lost a fish due to a failure of one but I find them flimsy and hard to tie on (albiet you tie them less often). So I went looking for other but similar products. I found two - the "no-knot fast clip" and the Norman Lures speed clip.

I'm looking for comments from anyone who has used these devices. Did they work for you, are you still using them, etc.

For those of you who haven't used them but are curious about them, here's a link to a cabela page with all three shown on it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike--- I have used a version of the no-knot years ago. I believe it was originally sold for use for fly fishing and I still have some of them. They work great for quick change of lures and for me there was never a problem of lost fish. My problem with their use is that if you hang up, you've lost another piece of equipment and I have been known to go swimming for a Mirro-Lure. From my standpoint, another factor for not using them is that I am one of the "old and cranky" trout fisherman and I never add anything that might not be on Mr. Speck's approved list.:D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
WHOOPS---:eek: I need to make a correction--the original no-knot used for fly fishing and which is still in use was the no-knot eyelet used to attach leader to fly line. My mistake.:confused: Anyway, I just checked and I have a supply of the no-knot eyelets and the no-knot snaps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have been using all three for a number of years. The norman lures are okay but can be hard to use if hands are cold. The Duo-loc have many off brands and some are flimsy made out of copper or cheap brass. I use some in making lures and if I know a lure will work better with it I attach it to the lure before I package it. I use stainless steel ones.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I was a kid I used the eyelets too fojoloy, but as I got away from ponds fishing for bream and bass, I learned to tie good knots. Having said that, I have also used the snaps, not for Trout (because they would know that something just wasn't right about that thing in front of a fly or nymph), but for crankbait bass fishing, trolling for rock, or other fishing. I have never had a problem losing a fish or losing a bait. TA are you using the ones you push together and the clip opens to secure the lure. I have a box of large, medium and small. But, I don't use them for specs or blues or spanish.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using them for mirrolures and other hardbaits. They have been working well - I've not noticed any issues with hook-ups - I feel I'm catching as many as I normally do. I did follow the advice of one gentleman that also uses them and I change them about every third or fourth trip out. That cuts down on the risk of them becoming weakened and opening with a fish on. I've caught several upper slotr drum on them too with no problem.

Slowriser - yes that is one of the styles I've tried and the one I like the best. Although it is a little hard to use when the metal and my fingers are cold......

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dave. Minus the swivel in 20# test would be kool! Don't need or use swivels on this type lure. The lures have slip rings which when combined with a snap - ;) well - it's a snap to change.

·
Registered
493 Posts
TA,
Good idea about the change of clip. We all learn something as we communicate here. Checking our gear (line, hooks, clips) is often overlooked when we are in the excitement of catching fish. I've lost more than a few lures when a freyed line snapped on a cast. Thanks for the response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.