NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabin fever got the best of me and I made a few trips after jacks to calm my nerves. Caught fish every trip. Jacks came on kvd squarebill cranks and a red devil spoon. I was surprised today I actually caught a bass while speedily retrieving the spoon over the top of submerged lily pads in six feet of water. I was reeling faster then I'd reel for bass even in the summer and he just smacked it. For those who haven't targeted jacks I highly recommend it. They are active even in ice water and they love to chase high speed lures.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've read that bass have the same attack speed in most all water temps, but ya have to put it in their "strike window" which would prolly be really small now! and I've caught jacks pullin my lure off the ice surrondin the pond! Glad ya got out, I hope to get out a couple or 4 times this wk!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great job on the catch.

I used to catch jacks on almost every bass fishing trip to Pitch Kettle Creek. It has been a long time since fishing for anything other than shad there. Anyone have an idea if there are still many jacks there?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've only been to pitchkettle shad fishing but it was beautiful! Nothing like the muddy soup that flows down the river up my ways. I'd love to go again someday. It certainly looks like somewhere Jacks would love to be. Warren Millpond in Newton Grove has a ton of big Jacks too.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've read that bass have the same attack speed in most all water temps, but ya have to put it in their "strike window" which would prolly be really small now! and I've caught jacks pullin my lure off the ice surrondin the pond! Glad ya got out, I hope to get out a couple or 4 times this wk!
See that makes a lot of sense to me. because I was ripping that spoon when I caught that bass and she absolutely engulfed the bait. I'm heading back out today with the canoe to try and catch some bass. I'm hoping that I can find some minnows somewhere so my girlfriend can catch a boatload of crappie while I bass/Jack fish.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I dont buy into the "bass are sluggish and fight like wet rags when it cold" myths. To me they pull the same or harder when the water is cold and they will still smack a moving bait engulfing it and even knocking slack in the line at times. That is one reason I dont really slow things down in the winter like many do.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I caught three jacks today and two bass on live minnows. I floated around the pond for an hour searching for crappie but couldn't even buy a bite. I know they are in there cause I catch a mess of them when they spawn but I covered every inch of the pond today and couldn't find the school. Water was very clear and I could see the bottom throughout the whole pond. This weather has me excited. I sense a good bite coming this week.

Neilslure, I don't usually bass fish between december and march because I don't have a fish finder and blindly fishing so slowly when there may not be fish around drives me crazy. After I started reading your posts about fishing fast during the winter I gave it a shot and have caught a few fishing a squarebill and a jerk bait at a decent speed. I may very well have been able to catch some more or bigger fish fishing slow but I have a lot more fun fishing fast. I like fishing slow in the summer when I know there HAS to be a bass in an area.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
swampin, what is the name of the pond on hwy 55 that has the huge tile under the road? Used to be a small building on the side with the ramp (left side of the pond), but think that is gone now. Can't remember the exact location of that pond, so it may be a few miles before or after Newton Grove.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't think of any that are within sight of 55 but Warren Millpond is right off of 55 just outside of Newton grove. The left side of the pond has the old mill, a boat ramp and a little creek with a bridge, But Blackman's Pond sounds more like what you are talking about. It's on Oak Grove Church Rd just off of 55 a mile or two from Newton Grove and the pond is on the right side of the road and it has the tile instead of a bridge. The left side of the pond has a pay to fish ramp. The only one I can think of that flows under 55 is McLamb's Pond and it is almost inside Dunn city limits and I don't think it has a ramp.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Swampin', from 44 yrs experience chasin bass more than I do anything else, yur idea of slowin down in the warmer season is off the mark. I've done best by findin just how fast I can move my lure an still get bit! I've caught bass, white bass an stripers in the warmer season trollin at 5 mph! an there isn't a reel that goes that fast. I only go to a slow lure after I've caught all from a school that will hit the fast movin crankbait! then I sometimes pick up one or two more by goin to the slow retrieve with a jig or worm. startin out that way would put me in contact with the same schools a lot less often, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't mean to imply that finess fishing was the way to go in warm weather, I just have more patience for it then. I enjoy picking a spot and enticing the fish I think is there. I also enjoy topwater and spinnerbaits.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
swampin, my description was not very good. After more thought, the pond I was talking about is on hwy 55, and is before Newton Grove. All of the pond is on the right side of hwy55 coming from Kinston to N G. It has been a few months since I've been by there so my memory is a bit fuzzy. The building that was near hwy 55 and next to the ramp is either gone or some type of damage has been done to it. Warren Millpond must be that one. Never fished it, but it does look fishy. When we go through that area, we are mostly going to the Meadow Village restaurant. We turn at N G and go on hwy 51 I think . There is a couple of ponds on that road that look really nice, but I think they're private.

I can't think of any that are within sight of 55 but Warren Millpond is right off of 55 just outside of Newton grove. The left side of the pond has the old mill, a boat ramp and a little creek with a bridge, But Blackman's Pond sounds more like what you are talking about. It's on Oak Grove Church Rd just off of 55 a mile or two from Newton Grove and the pond is on the right side of the road and it has the tile instead of a bridge. The left side of the pond has a pay to fish ramp. The only one I can think of that flows under 55 is McLamb's Pond and it is almost inside Dunn city limits and I don't think it has a ramp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.