NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people im new to the site and was wondering if anyone could give any tips on fishing snows cut.I plan to head that way this weekend and try for sheepshead and or black drum.Ive been doing nothing but bass fishing for the past 8 years and am ready to try something new.Is it true that you cant even tie off on the briges anymore.Any tips would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i'm not entirely sure but I don't think you are allowed to tie to the bridges...but you can anchor right beside them. sand fleas/fiddler crabs are the ticket for sheepies, you just need to keep your bait right beside the pilings. finger mullet on a carolina rig will catch flounder and drum, fish 2 hours before/after a tide change. i have never fished that area before but i have heard the fishing down there is some of the best around. best of luck and be sure to post a report with pics if you can! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are doormat flounder in Snow's Cut, and lots of good fishing. There is lots of current and boat traffic as well! BIG boats!!! Be wary of shallow rocks directly across the cut from the wildlife ramp. The old bridge and debris is just to the west (River side) of the new one, and there are lots of rocks on the south side of the bridge. You'll find the barnacle eating sheephead there. The coast guard told me the law prohibiting mooring to a bridge (and the ADM dock) has always been on the books, but only now the Dept of Homeland Security requires them to enforce it!
Suggest you get there at first light before the traffic picks up. And don't overlook the islands out in the Cape Fear river down towards Southport. An outgoing tide pulls the baitfish out of the flats to the waiting flounder, blues, and trout.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
cfarmd, u get your boat fixed yet?
workin' on it IM, hope to have it back by the end of the week. wat u up to the first weekend in august (8/1) im trying to plan a trip out of bogue inlet with jimbeam and it looks like i'll have empty spots on my boat. you interested?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fish there for sheeps, great spot when the tide in coming in. Rock crab are my fav choice but the other three will work, depends on what they want. I tie off but haven't seen much WL checking it;). Glad to know that we can't so I can start putting out the anchor and avoid trouble. I've caught pretty good black drum and even cobia in the area.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good guys ,thanks alot for the info.Everything looks lined up right for this weekend so i will post the report when we get back.If anyone sees a camo center console with a 90 yamaha on it holler @ me!One last question.Do you fish for the drum mainly right by the bridge structure or can they be caught elsewhere in the cut?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much to report.Fish not co-operating very well this weekend.Total catch,1 flounder,2sheephead,2 black drum,1 red drum, 2 bluefish, 2000 boats.I still had fun though,considering its only my second inshore trip.I have mostly bass fished for the past 10 years so anything new is fun to me right now.Again thanks for the help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.