NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my boat kept his boat in the water, because of this he had the bottom painted. I keep my boat on the trailer so in my opinion the black bottom paint is becoming a major eye sore.

I am being told that the easiest way to remove the paint is via soda blasting. Ok, good deal but the estimates I am receiving are all over the map.

Can anyone suggest a great place to have this done ? So far I have received three estimates, the difference is roughly $600.00 each claiming to do the same thing which is blasting the hull to their best of their ability while on the trailer (removing approx 90% of paint)

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Even people with trailered boats for some reason put bottom paint on the hulls.
You leave that boat on the trailer for a couple of weeks and the paint goes dead as far as what it was formulated to do. The paint lives but won't live out of water.
Unless you go with a copper one that basically sheds in layers until it has to be replenished.

You aint gonna like my suggestion but even if you have it blasted you will still have to do something with the 10%.
Paint remover. I think I have one still at the shop I use. It's pretty thick. You brush it on, then you cover it with a material. When it drys you pull the material off along with the paint. I'll have to dig up a name for it.

The big part you aint gonna like. Taking the boat off the trailer and flipping it over because that would be 100 times the work doing it on your back.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jarret Bays system is called farrow blasting. I don't know if it will affect the gel coat or not.
Supposedly the soda blasting does not affect the gelcoat? I only want to do this because I consider it to be an eye sore. Plus, the pinhead that painted the bottom of the hull also painted a small section of the sides and each side differs in coverage. To be honest, if I could remove the paint on the sides I would probably be ok with it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't know him personally but try this guy, call him and tell him what you need done. He has a wet soda unit that is no dust, less invasive and portable so he comes to you. http://www.sodablastingnc.com/

*** if you only want to clean the sides you may just wet sand it off. Buff out the hull when done..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.