NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My skiff has some cracking in the fiberglass and need to know if it can be repaired. The skiff started this after about 5 times of use. I was waiting on the builder to replace it but after a year of waiting no replacement. So those who work with fiberglass can this be ground out and repaired.
Wood Grey Flooring Beige Tints and shades
Grey Wood Tints and shades Beige Slope

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope you get your problem solved soon Ted. So, the builder hasn't even offered to repair or replace?
I told the builder about the cracking in August 2013 and he said he would replace it. But after all this time and a lot of emails and phone calls still no replacement. So I decided to either sell as is or repair. After the cracking showed up I have not used the skiff as I don't want to cause anymore.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can stop drill the existing cracks to keep them from spreading and use as is, or repair them. I can't give you step by step of how to repair that as I am not a fiberglass man, but the joys of glass is that in the hands or a reputable artisan just about anything can be fixed.
I have no skills with fiberglass so the drilling scares me.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is just a stress crack in the gelcote, most boats will get them somewhere and generally excluded from warranties. They can be repaired but will likely return.
I know they get bigger with each use and I guess that has a lot to do with them being on the transome. So if I try a repair there is a chance they will show up again in the same place.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Drum Runner will be the man to give you the best detailed answer on this. The crack will need to be ground, ends drilled then layered with glass mat to provide strength. Color match will be the trick. Best left to a pro, or someone who does it a lot. I can do good structural repairs but I don't have the experience with gelcoats etc to make it "pretty". to get top doalr it needs to be done properly. Sorry the builder isn't more willing to follow through on his promise. I would make sure it is known to anyone considering a purchase from them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It could be gel coat cracking like Neil said or actually be a crack in the gelcoat and glass because those are caused by flexing.
At this point, I would look at 2 things.
Make sure water isn't getting in the cracks.
And possibly adding a support or knee.

Keep in mind. I'm not standing right there and all I got is a coupla pictures to look at. I would like to see a more broad picture now that I know where the cracks are so I can see what's around it.

But the main thing at this point I would be worried about first is water intrusion.

I am not a gelcoat man. I avoid it all I can. I'm not set up to mess with it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It's what I was thinking. It's in the outside corners both sides. If you've ever laid any glass around corners you would probably have a good idea why it's happening. You have two things going on at the same place with a piece of glass. Both an inside and outside radius. It's probably just a gel coat crack.

I probably wouldn't worry about it structurally.
My worries would be in getting it sealed up. Water enters into a crack a heckuva lot easier than it leaves through a crack.
As someone said. Take a small drill bit and drill a hole at the end of each crack to stop it's migration. Not deep. Just barely through the gellcoat. Fill with a sealant like 3M 4200. You may need to scrape the crack with the edge of a razor blade so sealant has somewhere to get into and bond. Anyway, you can work it a gloved finger dipping in alcohol. Cleanup would be with a rag soaked in alcohol.

But again, my main concern would be water intrusion. What people don't realize is that fiberglass rots from water.
If water can get onto one fiber of glass, it has the potential to migrate through a whole hull. It's called wicking.
If you've ever seen the bilge of an older boat where the glass isn't painted and you see black spots the size of a saucer maybe. That is rotting fiberglass. If you see some black ooze coming out of the glass, that is a sure sign of severe water intrusion. You can wipe the goo off and it keeps coming back. It's the breakdown of the chemicals used to lay the glass being forced out by the water.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will go with your advice on drilling and filling with the 3m. It will be a month or so before I can do it but will let you know how it works out. Thanks

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Drill the ends of the cracks and then fill the cracks with Evercoat Formula 27 or MarineTex. I prefer the Evercoat. Wet sand with 180 grit and then 220...and then if you want to you can use a Evercoat Gel Coat Repair but IMO not necessary.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You need something flexible or it will crack again because the compound radius is flexing and will continue to do so. 4200 or 5200 is the best option unless you want to get real involved with it.

It's like a crack in drywall in a house that was caused by settling. You can fill that crack, sand it out, and paint it all pretty until the cows come home and it will continue to crack again and again in the same place until you reinforce that crack with drywall tape.
That is why I suggest the 3M products. They will move with it and bond very well with the material.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I wish you were closer. I could lay out more options for for you if I had my hands on it they may not be intrusive at all. But without hands on it where I could determine what and how much material is in that transom I would hate to speculate. It could possibly be reinforced from inside.

At any rate, if you were closer I would seal up the cracks ....and forget a bill. I'd settle for a 12 pack and the company. I have what's needed on hand.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are not that far away to take up a offer like that. I hope to be out of a neck brace in a couple weeks so just might give you a shout. I would like to see that boat you are building anyway sure looks nice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.