NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is coming home for easter and wants to go after some stripers from kayaks. We are planning to fish somewhere between kinston and new bern. Anybody willing to share a kayak friendly creek where we can find some? We don't have fish finders so we are planning on soaking bait to locate them and then throw swimbaits. I already have some ideas but I'd love to hear some advice from people who have done a heck of a lot more of it then I have. Once again, Thanks NCanglers.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got some advice, skip the neuse, hit the roanoke!! Much better chance gettin on some right now as they are thick
That is where I went last time and it was a blast but I'm not sure if it is safe enough for our 10' kayaks. We are hoping to hit a creek where we won't have to fight the current as much. I'm planning on hitting the roanoke again from a big boat in a few weeks though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is where I went last time and it was a blast but I'm not sure if it is safe enough for our 10' kayaks. We are hoping to hit a creek where we won't have to fight the current as much. I'm planning on hitting the roanoke again from a big boat in a few weeks though.
id also be interested to see if anyone has anything to say about fishing the Roanoke for stripers with a kayak? Ive been the last two weekends with good success on a buddys boat but was thinking of hitting it with the kayak

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have been going over to the mouth of the cashie and catching rock, no problem there with kayak as long as the winds stay under 10 and maybe 15 if out of the south or north. You can launch at 45 bridge and cross the Roanoke and paddle under the bridge to the Cashie or put over across the bridge at the shipyard landing (small fee) and come out in the mouth of the Cashie where the bite is. I've been doing best with a trolling motor, just don't have the touch for casting! Be glad to go and show where we've been catching just let me know.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! It might be a little far for this trip though. Im surprised they are still there. I caught my last rock in the middle river under the bridge. We put in at the 45 ramp but we were in a boat. Have they still been in good numbers?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theoretically if I was to take a drive to Plymouth what are the odds that I find some stripers around the bridge pilings? No depth finder but I have found them there back in january. Still planning on the neuse but considering other options. Any other opinions on kayakable areas for stripers? Planning on monday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm thinking on Monday also if things don't change. I'll probably put in at the 45 bridge and go to the mouth of the cashie, just a straight paddle under the 45 bridge. I do have a trolling motor mounted for trolling and cruising. Be glad to meet up if interested. Mouth of Roanoke would be an option also. Just too much water makes it complicated sometimes.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking on Monday also if things don't change. I'll probably put in at the 45 bridge and go to the mouth of the cashie, just a straight paddle under the 45 bridge. I do have a trolling motor mounted for trolling and cruising. Be glad to meet up if interested. Mouth of Roanoke would be an option also. Just too much water makes it complicated sometimes.
Is the season closed on stripers there or is it just up river? That will be the real kicker I think. My brother wants some fish for the freezer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Season is open in the Roanoke river management area (RR river, Eastmost river and Cashie river) until April 30 unless changed by proclamation before if quota is reached. Limit is two fish over 18" and less than 22" and one fish over 27" allowed. I've been catching plenty in the 16-17" range trolling. Curtis Pelt and crew has been catching their limit seems every trip casting. I usually get 2 legal out of 10-12 fish landed. Monday looks like a 5-10 S wind which will be good if it holds true. Catfish should be biting on cut bait also. Fresh herring on a Carolina style rig will catch both.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Season is open in the Roanoke river management area (RR river, Eastmost river and Cashie river) until April 30 unless changed by proclamation before if quota is reached. Limit is two fish over 18" and less than 22" and one fish over 27" allowed. I've been catching plenty in the 16-17" range trolling. Curtis Pelt and crew has been catching their limit seems every trip casting. I usually get 2 legal out of 10-12 fish landed. Monday looks like a 5-10 S wind which will be good if it holds true. Catfish should be biting on cut bait also. Fresh herring on a Carolina style rig will catch both.
In that case I'd love to meet up! What time are you planning on going out there? If we fix the other kayak we will both be in kayaks otherwise we may just share a canoe. I'm excited I've been wanting to go back every since January when I first went. I have shad to use for cut bait.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Enjoyed the day also thanks for the company. I'm sure ya'll paddled about 10 mi., my wrist is swollen from turning the handle on the trolling motor! Let the water warm up a bit and we can target some big cats with live brim. Send a PM and we'll get er done. I hijacked another thread you replied too that my uncle caught a 26" rock under the highrise that had to go back in the water because of the slot limit. Of course this was after you left!

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.