NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I am hoping to land "50 Chunks on the Fly"....50 bass over 17" on the fly rod via kayak/wading and all on public waters. And of course, without getting fired from my day job. I have some big flies in my box as well as some unusual patterns, but I decided to add a few more big flies this year to target bigger bass. I also have some new/different techniques I want to explore with the long rod.

My good friend Levi Blazer and I came up with a bunch of concepts and ended up with a mix of new and existing flies. You can see most of them below (a few aren't pictured because he wants them to remain secret at this time). Note the lure at the top is a 5" swimbait for reference. I am pretty darn excited to try some of these this year! I blogged it all with some additional details over at MPF. If anyone is interested in patterns, etc. let me know and I can get you in touch with Levi. Tight lines!

photo (2).JPG

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice ties there Yak Devil, looking forward to seeing the results. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could take credit for the ties, but alas, it was all Levi. I did come up with some of the concepts and helped develop a few of the patterns, but he is the man behind the vise.

I have tied a few flies, but want to get into it more. Originally, I promised myself I would finish grad school first and then start (I already had/have too many hobbies). Well, that was over a year ago and I'm no closer. Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tied some once to be comparable to a plastic worm. Long and skinny with chenille and a considerable weight. Similar to a couple you've got there. IMO, if you aren't fishing under the surface you are missing most of your bigger fish.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree about the subsurface flies. But of course it depends on when and where. We have been coming up with different worm patterns for about 6 years. I think these will be really effective. I have also learned the value of sink tip.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I saw some fat yarn in A. C. Moores the other day that may would work. Some of that yarn will slough off, but the one I saw may not. Didn't buy any, but may go back. tarheel fly flinger braids yarn to make it fatter, and ties up some very nice worm flies.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You should mail me a few to test out for you:D

Great looking flies, I particularly like the two olive flies at about 1:30 pm on a clock face.

Looks like they would be right at home falling off a submerged log.

Here fishy, fishy...

-Dan

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan, I am also very interested to see how those "tube flies" produce. I have a feeling they will be smallie magnets and hopefully catch some good LMB too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice bugs and a goal setter you are!!! Don't forget the help of the rabbit strip, caught my biggest on a simple rabbit strip[ pattern. You cannot make it stop in the water and it breathes with life!!!! Wish I was going with ya'll !!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice bugs and a goal setter you are!!! Don't forget the help of the rabbit strip, caught my biggest on a simple rabbit strip[ pattern. You cannot make it stop in the water and it breathes with life!!!! Wish I was going with ya'll !!!!
You hit the nail on the head - the rabbit strip is so underrated. I have an idea for using that rabbit strip leech that I think is going to be deadly this year. I am going to take a cue from some of the steelhead and salmon guys up north and fish it more like a drop shot rig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts