NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great time fishing this weekend. Caught my first gag grouper at topsail.
also caught my first searobbin as did basswrangler
. Aside from these and a ton of assorted small fish I managed to catch three seagulls, two Yankee joggers and a stand up paddle boarder! Had to throw them all back unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The paddle boarder catch was epic though. I was on the bank talking to another fisherman when my rod doubled over. I got excited and grabbed the rod for a violent hook set. Next thing we saw was a stand up paddle boarder about sixty yards out come flying through the air as I yanked his paddle board out from under him. Apparently he thought it was smart to launch in between my rods when the rest of the beach was clear. As I said I had to throw him back but it's still a great story.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The paddle boarder catch was epic though. I was on the bank talking to another fisherman when my rod doubled over. I got excited and grabbed the rod for a violent hook set. Next thing we saw was a stand up paddle boarder about sixty yards out come flying through the air as I yanked his paddle board out from under him. Apparently he thought it was smart to launch in between my rods when the rest of the beach was clear. As I said I had to throw him back but it's still a great story.
It probably wouldnt have eaten very well.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I was surf fishing at Oak Island last fall and launched a Gotcha Plug into the waves. A moment later I felt a strong tug so I set the hook.......in the end I had hooked a kayakers line that he'd been trolling for kings. Ironically, he recognized me and was also a member here. Yakstar was his name. He returned the lure to me and ended up being a cool dude for sure.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would have been a great day to have a gopro! The seagulls were definitely keeper size but unfortunately I heard rumors that they are out of season. Put up a great fight when I wrestled to unhook the largest one though. As far as Yankees, They do not necessarily run in pairs, but I do know that quite often they run in packs. The peak season is from May-September but a few stragglers can be found well into November. The best baits to use are flashing neon signs for BoGo sales on flip flops and cheap beach towels, though my best success has been setting up in a very uncrowded area while leaving hundreds of yards of space on either side of you. As I prefer artificial baits, I suggest a brightly colored and very obvious fishing pole coupled with a hi-vis line. They just can't resist it. (This same set up also catches seagulls and paddle boarders so it would seem.) The slot limit on Yankees is between 140 and 250 lbs, but I will warn you, slot sized specimens are rare. Not very good tasting but even a smaller one is always eager to put up a fight to remember!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.