NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bond park -
a LOT of channel cats there, go there a few day after a nice shower/rain, catfish will bite like crazy. They usually take the bait even before the weight hits the ground. My friend and I caught about 30 to 40 channel cat size from 1 to 4lb in about 4 hours. (Released them all)

I have also caught some catfish around 7lb last weekend.

Lake Crabtree -
I have caught some pretty good size cat there, but fish there are not editable due to chemical pollution. A great catch and release spot.

Regency Park - Big grass carp, a lot of small crappie and some bass, haven't caught any catfish there.
My 54lb record fish

:eek:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The cats are very prevalent at Bond Park. My son caught one about 9" long last year -- he still talks about it... He'll suggest to anybody he runs into that you can catch catfish under the fish feeders along the dam...

What do you use for catfish bait? Most folks seem to use hot dogs -- I've had a hard time keeping them on my hook.

Welcome aboard!
Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Where is Bond Park?
Off High House Rd. in Cary, between Maynard and Cary Parkway. Bank fishing is allowed anywhere you can reach except the boat dock (there's a boardwalk adjacent to the boat dock; you can fish there); Jonboat, sailboat, canoe rentals in season; private boats (no gas) under 16 feet may launch for $4/day or $30/season, but boat-rental hours only :(.

It's stocked under NCWildlife's Community Fishing program.

Fred G. Bond Metro Park

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bond Park is in Cary off of High House Road. The lake is stocked and you can rent small electric power boats and other watercraft for a fee. The lake shore and boardwalk is typically crowded with families and young kids learning to fish......as well as those anglers who have progressed to duck hunting with a fishing line (right Lefty?)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
as well as those anglers who have progressed to duck hunting with a fishing line (right Lefty?)
It wasn't me! I was a witness and the rescue crew!

The boardwalk does get pretty crowded. The dam's long enough that there's usually room to spread out and find a spot. And there are several places you can reach the bank from the trail that goes all the way around the lake.

In addition to the cats, there are panfish (of course), some bass, and some pretty big carp. I saw one whose back looked like a discarded trailer tire, until it swam away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind bait to use depending on how many catfish you are aiming for. If you don't care about the size and just want to catch as many as possible, chicken liver is the way to go. However, if you want to catch cats 5lb+ use live fish, as big as possible.

The cat in picture was caught by using an adult hand size bream.
The key is really live bait + the right rig.

As for the rig, I use bluefish rig http://shop.oysterbaytackle.com/images/Dt34s.jpg
( I am probably the only person that use this rig for catfish) :p

I found another version with 1 large hook and large float. This set up is awesome. Float allows the live bait to stay in the air instead of laying at the bottom, it also allows cats to bite the bait without having to dig. Wide hook is just easier to hook the bait and the cat.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks for the information! That rig you use is very popular down on the coast for saltwater species, nice adaptation for cats!

The other rig you mentioned sounds like another saltwater rig we use a lot down here for "light" lining - throwing out a live bait on the surface while anchored or slow drifting while bottom fishing. It's a good way to catch Kings/blues/Spanish while you grouper or black bass fish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has had the chance to fish the recently opened lake raleigh. It is located on N.C. State's Centennial campus. They stocked 500 pond raised cats for the opening day and I know that the bass and crappie were biting good too. There is no night fishing there. Would be a great spot for the kayakers in the area.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I hadn't remembered the "closes at dark" clause previously, thanks for pointing that out. I would like to explore the place by kayak... and interestingly enough, my mom expressed the interest as well. She's dyin' to know what's around that upstream corner!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fish there twice. The amount of bass is amazing and the size are pathetic... when you throw your rig, you can see about 20 finger sized bass swimming behind it.

I know a secret place at the lake with a group of 5lb+ bass swimming, but I can never catch any of them.

Too many water plants at the bottom of the tank for catfishing. I think that lake will be a good bass lake in a few years.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We fished from the boat dock, right from the bottom and caught some decent plump cats there. That is where I caught the one and half foot eel that freaked me out at 4:30 a.m. I'll have to investigate those 5lbs your talking about. Bet with enough persuasion, you could figure them out.

I wish I hadn't sold my little john boat or I'd be out there daily. As far as the small size of the fish, I guess it is relatively new for lake/pond standards since they fixed it up. It is definetely a place to keep in the back of the mind.

Another good little hole for crappie, carp, bream, and bass is umstead state park off of 70. The fiance and I go out there from time to time but she is the crappie queen. She rubs it in pretty good for awhile afterwards. Keyword there is roostertail.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
dlcomer, speaking of jonboats. There are some STEALS on jonboats right now on Craigslist in Raleigh!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, pretty new to the site but i love it. I check it out almost every day when I'm bored in class.

Anyway I've been fishing the triangle a lot lately. I caught a 10+ pound bass last week at Falls lake, biggest bass i have ever caught and probably will stay that way for a while. Falls is a great lake for big bass, numbers are not always easy for me to come by though. Typically me and my fishing buddy catch 3-4 each time we go there and catch a lot of white bass on crankbaits while bass fishing (I dont know how they take the hook but they do, its crazy).

Went out to umstead for the first time yesterday and caught six bass, one was three pounds, the others 1-2. Good numbers there but not much size, still fun to catch though. First I went to sycamore lake, yall are right its hard to get to, little hike and then very hilly. Caught two of them there, small, and got bored/tired of getting snagged, and tried to foul hook a massive carp, sorry if thats messed up. The big lake had a little more action but it was getting close to 8 so didnt stay long. Where are the best spots to fish the big lake other than near the boathouse?

Today I went out to lake crabtree and caught two cats on live bream. I fought the second one for over 3 minutes, probably 6-7 pounds or so but fought hard. It was getting close to closing time when I caught the last one but didn't want to get locked in. It killed me to leave cus I knew the kitties were comin in at dark. Too bad.

I guess my point here, other than getting my first post out of the way, is that the triangle has not only some of the most diverse fishing opportunities in the state, but also really good quality fishing. I'm from charlotte, I know city boy right, but I think I might have to live in Raleigh after i graduate to fufill my daily fishing addiction. If anyone ever wants to hit the fishin hole or just talk fishing sometime gimme a call 7046093262. I live near NCSU campus.

Tight Lines are the right lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh yeah i meant to comment on the previous post above mine, i dont know how old umstead is, beautiful place though for sure, but there are a lot of carp at sycamore, hard to get to, i dont know if its even worth the time unless there really are good fish in there, i caught small ones. As for catfish I would like to know that too but it looks like there definately are, as catfish are everywhere. Theres probably some in every lake at umstead and maybe even in the creeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.