NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adam, my 15 year old, has mentioned to me that he's done with fishing. He spent most of the summer playing video games.

So I texted him today....

"Do you remember that big shark you caught at Hunting Island"
"Yeah! It was so cool. It was a hammerhead"
"Do you remember that big catfish you caught by the bridge on Lake Norman?"
"Yeah! It was almost as big as I was...I couldn't lift it".
"Do you think you'll remember those fish in 20 years"
"Of course! I'll never forget"
"Do you think that by Christmas you'll remember your best day playing video games this summer?"

No reply...

Just planting a seed again.... hoping it will take root.

·
Registered
365 Posts
An old adage in fishing, by an old fisherman...

(An acurate paraphrase)
"Give me a boy and let me take him fishing, and he'll be mine until he's a teen. Then I'll lose him. But when he's an adult, he'll come back to me and be mine again, and stay so forever."

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
425 Posts
Most people my age grew up playing video games. I had a system when I was younger. It became outdated and I begged my parents to let me buy a new one. Even with money I earned they said no. Eventually I got over it, and still don't play. Because of it, I got outdoors more and learned to love to hunt and fish instead of watch TV and play games.

When my kids come of age, I won't introduce them to video games. They'll get guns and fishing rods instead. Theyll be better off for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Video games are good for old folks. I play quite a bit in the winter if nothing more than to help my hand eye coordination. Been a Battlefielder since day one of the PC version of 1942 came out.
I play very little in the warm months. During the winter, it's about all I can do. I go to work and when I get home I go into zero gravity until it's time to go to work again.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I tinkered on dirt bikes and cars with my Dad growing up as well as fishing with Mom, (Dad took us to keep her happy he didn't care much about it) I got my first car at 15, Dad oversaw me fixing it up, brakes, carb rebuild, etc. I turned 16 and got a my full drivers license. On that day my Dad gave me a project truck I had been trying to buy for 2 yrs from a man in town. A 53 Studebaker. I dreamed of fixing it up into a nice streetrod truck. Dad was so excited to finally get it for me from the guy. It took me 4 yrs to turn the first wrench on it. At 16 with a license it was girls and riding the road and wrenching with Dad just wasn't interesting to me at all. On my 20th B-day, he gave me a Studebaker license plate and smiled. He said "ok kido, either we start on it today, or we sell it". Actually lost my GF over that old truck. Spent too much time on it and not on her, but it was a sharp old ride!! Next time I am home I will get some pics from Mom and scan them in.
* My point is, he is growing up and testing new interests. Keep him reminded of the fun he had, but don't push him away for changing his "game". He will come back to what he loves.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Never got into gaming, but did into the hunting and fishing arena. Never cared for games like baseball, football or basketball. I did play a little around the neighborhood but not on the game fields. Use to run home from school, stop at grandaddys house, grab his shotgun and head back to the woods.

Lots of days we would throw our poles into dads car when he went to work. As the day wore on and we got ready to fish, we walked down the road, grabbed our poles and hit the Neuse River. Lot of times he would come down and check us out and see what bounty we had to send home. Great days for sure. Frosty Morn was a pig/cow slaughter house along the Neuse River in Kinston. Use to catch some killer cats, bass and bream from that area.

Saturday mornings when I would wake up, dad would be gone. Mommy would tell me where he went. I would cut across the fields and head to the creek, there in the window would be my cane pole. I'd grab it, look along the banks and see which way he went and catch up to him. Then we would fish together up and down the creek. This was along Falling Creek around Kinston.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My guess is it's a good thing he didn't answer your last text Len. I can just imagine the remark he was mouthing "on the other side of the phone". Kids don't like it when they get checkmated in 4 moves, but they usually remember it fondly when they ain't kids anymore.

·
Registered
309 Posts
An old adage in fishing, by an old fisherman...

(An acurate paraphrase)
"Give me a boy and let me take him fishing, and he'll be mine until he's a teen. Then I'll lose him. But when he's an adult, he'll come back to me and be mine again, and stay so forever."

Plus Fishin',
RW
Wow...I am a testament of that. I grew up fishing Holden Beach in the summer and once I turned 16 or so, I quit caring about fishing. Now that I am much older in the last few years I have grown closer to my brother because of fishing at the beach. I try to go as much as I can and absolutely love it. I will most likely move to the coast in the next few years and enjoy it till the end of my days.

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
Nice cat Adam caught Len. I hope you did get through and he stays with the fishing.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
shoot yea man!!!

Reactions: biglenr
1 - 20 of 23 Posts