NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I headed out at about 2PM after the rain and started off in a shallow cove. Worked a senko for a while no luck finally switched over to a spinner and got a nice bite in very shallow near the bank under some branches. Had it on for a brief fight but got off, looked to be about 2#. No not the lesson learned.

headed over too spot to meet up with a buddy and started working the spinnerbait. About my tenth cast, well out from shore downwind, I feel a nice tug on the line. I can tell from the pull and weight that I have a quality fish on. The fish didn't fith much and comes up to top and I am dragging it toward shore. About same time my buddy is approaching and can tell I have a quality fish on. I keep bringing the fish on shore and instead of reaching down to lip it I decide to just pull it up one the bank and reach down to grab it. Just as I get it ashore it starts flopping and gets off the hook. I finally reach down to grab it as its entering back into the water and all I get is the tail and off it goes. The fish was in the 5 to 6 pound range.

This was the lesson learned again. last February I latched into a nice 7 to 8 pounder, had a great fight and the fish gave up allowing me to drag it in. I pulled it up on the bank being too lazy to reach down to lip it and off it went. So today the same thing happens to lazy to reach down and since water was up just had to clear about an inch but once again lost the fish. yes it was on the bank so all I missed was the official weight and picture. I have now cemented into my brain that when ya have a ice fish on reach down and lip it to ensure the weighing and picture taking.

My buddy and I worked the area with various spinners, worms and red eyed shads and about 3:30 he says fish on. Sure enough he has a nice fish on, bite was subtle, fish came up,once for a little dance looked to be 4 to 5 pound range. I reel in quickly to give him a hand landing the fish and just as I get lure out of the water and he loses the fish. So now we are oh for three for the day with two very nice quality fish.

he slides over to spot I was at and I move i to another opening and he lands a very nice crappie on a red eye shad. About 4:30 we decide to call it quits for the day but I decide to put on a senko and give it five casts. On fifth cast I feel a subtle bump, thinking it could be a note or just bumping the rocks decide to hang on for a little before next lifts and drop. I start seeing the line go out a little but than a second later slack so wasn't sure if the fish just dropped it or if it was a turtle playing with the worm. The slack starts tightening so I give it a rip and bam fish on. This one goes airborne a few times so we can tell its smaller and finally get it on shore and was a nice 2 pounder. Fish had swallowed the hook pretty deep but a few minutes of surgery thru the gills freed the hook and fish was put back into the water and on its way. It lost a little blood but the way it took off I feel it will survive just fine. my buddy actually did the gill surgery while I held it and than reached in t get the hook once he freed it.

So we both avoided a skunk however we both were severely disappointed that we lost nice quality fish.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Anything over about 2 lbs I lip it. More for fear of watching the line snap and watching the fish swim off with my lure than anything else. Watched buddy try to swing a 2 lber and it swam off with his 17 dollar lucky craft jerkbait in its mouth.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything over about 2 lbs I lip it. More for fear of watching the line snap and watching the fish swim off with my lure than anything else. Watched buddy try to swing a 2 lber and it swam off with his 17 dollar lucky craft jerkbait in its mouth.
I know I know after loosing the one last year I lipped anything over 2 pounds. Never broke that rule till today. Oh well lesson learned

Reactions: NCStateFisher
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.