NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived on South Core Banks on Monday morning 5/14 and headed up to Drum Inlet. The wind was blowing about 30 MPH out of the North and the fishing was next to impossible. The water looked like coffee. Fished the falling tide Monday afternoon and into the evening with little results. Headed south and camped out. Fished the incoming and high tide at the light house Tuesday morning and caught more dog fish and sharks than I care to catch the rest of the year, still no Drum, Sea Mullets or Blues. Wind still blowing hard out of the north. Went on out to the Point (Cape Point) and hung out wating on the incoming tide. Fished the sound side down to the jetties with no results. Wind started to change a little Tuesday evening but still blowing hard so I went to the ocean side of the point and managed to catch a few blues with the biggest one being 3 lbs. Went back up to the light house and fished some more. A lot of folks were there trying to catch Mullets. I never saw anyone catch anything. Left there and started heading north again. Stopped near the cabins and camped out for the night. Wednesday morning headed further north and stopped to fish at mile 27 where there is a truck or car under water just beyond the breakers. Hooked a big fish there and couldn't turn it and finally pulled off. I only had a short time before having to catch the ferry back to Davis so I headed on up to Drum Inlet and low and behold the Black Drum started to turn on. Had to leave to catch the ferry. As I was leaving the wind started laying down out of the south. That's the way it goes sometimes and I guess bad fishing is better than work!

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a great time Topsail Angler! I learned a lot and can't wait till fall to go back out there. I probably won't make it out there again until then.
I am going down to Bogue Inlet or North Topsail on Sunday to catch a tide change.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mark, I hate to here about that wind but I guess if every day was good we wouldn't appreciate them and we would probably wipe the fish out having fun till we couldn't catch them on a good day. Still it had to be a bit of a let down and now you got some dues paid towards good fishing. Maybe next time there will be green water all the way to the mainland and schools of fish as far as the eye can see. That is part of the mystique of saltwater fishing.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right sinker man. If we always caught them, there wouldn't be any left and the fun would be gone.

According to the National Weather Service the wind was supposed to have laid down by Monday but that was the Lord's decision. He taught me a lot though and next time will be awesome!

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.